Monday, June 02, 2008

Video Editor

So far I am not too happy with Kino in Ubuntu. For sometimes peculiar reason, some the dv clips in the project would just speed up. I remember the last time I used it in Ubuntu 7.10 the same thing happened. And the sound mix doesn't work well at all.

I wonder if I did anything wrong. No, I didn't. Wonder what's out there. The last time I tried another editor, it was so bad, every time I opened a clip and the program just closed, it's as if I quit the program, so basically it's unusable.

Look like I have to download another program other than kino. Hope the learning curve won't be steep. Well, if anything, the slow motion with pan and zoom works pretty well.

I may have to try Cinelerra?

UPDATE 6/3/08
Oh yes. So after all AMD is not Intel, it's better. I just needed to pick the right binary for my AMD processor which is cinelerra-k7gl and now I can run the application OK. Before that I tried some other Linux video apps, except for Kino which isn't all that bad, the rest are just simply unusable, the program just closes by itself. Now comes the hard part, actually using the program to edit video. Gosh, I want to edit some HD, but then I need to buy a HD camcorder, a new workstation and oh well, you got the picture.

3 comments:

  1. Hi laichungleung,

    Yes you could try Cinelerra. If you have questions on the software you can join users on irc://freenode.org/cinelerra . Other alternatives are kdenlive or openmovieeditor but I prefer Cinelerra myself.

    see you.

    Roland (wildhostile)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi wildhostile, thanks for stopping by.

    I just tried but unfortunately I couldn't even get it to start. I tried to run it from the Applications menu, no go, from the /usr/bin/cinelerra that I got

    QUOTE
    Cinelerra 2.1CV (C) 2006 Heroine Virtual Ltd.
    Compiled on ven mag 30 22:59:22 UTC 2008

    Cinelerra is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
    and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
    certain conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for Cinelerra.
    Illegal instruction
    UNQUOTE

    So the Illegal instruction kills it. I am running an AMD processor. I tried to edit the scyctl.conf by adding the extra line
    kernel/shmmax=0×7fffffff
    then sudo sysctl -p
    but it gives me error...

    I don't know if I have to compile from source to get this to work...that would be a bit too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might have solved my problem, I will have to try that tomorrow night. My AMD 32BIT needs not the generic but cinelerra-k7-gl, wish I have seen that earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....