Sunday, June 15, 2008

Existentential Crisis

I am still "wallowing in blog self-pity" and continue to misspell because I just can.

Today's Father's Day, big deal. Harry was up before me and we went downstairs to make breakfast. I assigned him the task of cracking the eggs. Which he did before and enjoyed. Anything that involves smashing up things he enjoys. I beat the eggs up, added some salt and fresh grounded pepper. Then off it went to the 600 lbs cast iron pan. Cast iron pan is my favorite, I have a healthy disdain for anything that's flimsy and marketed as non-stick.

Scrambled eggs is something that's easy to make and easy to make well. Just don't overcook it. To add to the flavor, I usually add a dash of butter in addition to the olive oil. The kids love it. And by the time Harry started eating, Alex was up too, so I gave my portion to him.

Meanwhile, six thousand miles away from NYC in Beijing, people are clubbing in Block 8.

3 comments:

  1. How sweet to hear your kids cooked breakfast for you, awww. Good to know your "existentential" crisis extends only to your blog and not your personal life :)

    I just came back from treating my family to dinner at a Chinese restaurant in celebration of Father's Day. The meal was great, except for the chicken dish, which is a little on the skinny side. And the waitor still kindly gave us the usual discounts even though it's me and not my parents who was picking up the tab, which means he earns a fat tip from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy some small moments with the kids. Harry just cracked the eggs, if that counts as making me breakfast. He is only six so I can't let him go near the stove.

    Good to know that you have a memorable Father's Day.... I was thinking of going to Outback. But in the end, I decided to go to downtown Flushing, a change of scenery and save a few bucks for sure. It's a so so eatery for all the major ones are jammed even before 6PM, and today with a particularly bad waitress. Sometimes I don't understand why people has such a bad attitude. We are the easiest customers. Oh well, we are OKAY, she couldn't ruin our meal anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents are old customers of the restaurant that we went last night (for decades it is one of the only 2 proper chinese restaurants in Dublin city centre that serve dim sum), and are friends with all the waitors and waitresses, so they more often than not give my parents discounts on the bill. I on the other hand am still a kinda unknown quantity to them, and tend to have the worst luck with waiting staff in general (or with any customer service staff as my laptop tech support experience shows!), so am extra grateful when I come across those who do their job properly without a big chip on their shoulders and actually being nice for a change!

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....