Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Popular Music

My musical taste is laughable. The way I see songs and music is the same exact way I see, oh well, I couldn't think of any parallel. The lame-o meter is going through the roof now.

My first "walkman" like portable player is a Sanyo portable cassette player with silvery paint and silvery plastic leather like jacket. I think back then I actually paid one of our friends to record a medley of songs from his studio like shop in Yaumati. Mostly brands and singers from UK, notably Culture Club, Japan and David Bowie and whatever striked my fancy and looked cool. But I wasn't much of a serious listener, I never had moments like "Oh Shit, this song is so great, it freaking changed my life." No, it never ever happened. No songs ever changed my life. Not U2, much less Cranberries. Surprise, I think it must be the marketing or something, I actually bought a cassette of U2's live performance in the late 80s and early 90s. I think it's called Rattle and something, okay it's called Rattle and Hum. I think I actually liked the album, alas, it's lost during my nomad lifestyle in the early 90s. And then I got the impression that U2 or Bono has become quite important or self-important so that was a turn-off. I really don't know anything about the Cranberries except maybe the song re-sang by our much beloved Wong Faye. Anyway, I think the group is pretty well liked by girls in Hong Kong and semi-pseudo-intellectuals who have a thing for anything that's white, arty farty and girly. So I instantly blacklisted them without hesitation. Of course, I am full of shit.

After years of listening to English songs which is not much to begin with, I actually do an about face. I began listening to Chinese songs lately. Actually it was in parallel in the late the 90s. Back then it's mostly Cantonese pop songs. But as I got older and actually old, I much prefer Mandarin maudlin love songs. They are just that good. For the most part, I have problem understanding the lyrics but that's OKAY.

5 comments:

  1. Yes Bono is getting too self-important for his own good, although I agree with the causes that he's championing. Anyway, U2 had managed to produce meaningful music across several decades, and you do have to hand it to them for that alone. They are among my dad's favourites. I myself really like their album a few years back, with songs like "Beautiful Day", "Stuck in a moment" and "Grace".

    The Cranberries I loved, and not just because of Faye. Although they have kinda disappeared from the scene, but I still played their "To the faithful departed" now and again.

    Both the U2 and the Cranberries are brilliant musicmakers, fusing their unique sounds with meaningful lyrics and delivered in a way that is distinctly their own (that's another reason why I admire Faye for managing to achieve the impossible and outdo the Cranberries in her cover versions). And they're so distinctly Irish (just like Enya), in a way no manufactured bands like the Corrs or the Westlife could ever approximate. I won't have any problems if they're considered "inordinately literate" for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And oh jesus I wouldn't at all consider the Cranberries as "white, arty farty and girly". (Well, white, yes, but Irish-white, not your WASP American "White"). They are the real deal and I just for the life of me imagine how they could be perceived as arty-farty and girly???? Certainly not the last. For "girly" and psuedo-Irish you'd be listening to the Corrs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. missed "can't" in front of "imagine" in last comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to music, I am very ignorant, and almost everything else too actually. But if you say it's good, especially Cranberries, then I will buy it, perhaps I will buy some CD too. Seriously. But sometimes, you know I just can't stand people make a big deal out of songs, like oh it changed my life or it made me cry. Though it can be true but I just can't stand it, perhaps it's the persons who drag down those songs. I just don't believe it. I know I am not being reasonable.

    Wong Faye, sometimes, I think it's really the whole package. The always nonchalant I don't give a fuck look. She has a good voice and can sing but it's mostly her aura that appeals to her audience.

    Oh, my god, you Dad growing up listening to U2, I guess I can be your Dad, I remember first heard of them when I was a teenager in HK.....Rattle and Hum is the only album I "seriously" listened to because back then I lived by myself in an attic with no TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cranberries are indeed very good and you haven't given them enough credit for the gritty realism of their lyrics - try listening to their "Zombie" video on Youtube and pay attention to the words.

    Re: Faye Wong. Believe it or not, but in my final year undergrad course I did my popular culture essay on her. I got a first and was even introducing my then lecturer to her music!

    Hahaha, yes I guess you could be my dad (must be very young though when you had me... Eeewwwww, let's NOT go there!) Anyway, U2 albums is one of the easy gift choices for my Dad.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....