Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Firefox 3 And Flash Annoyance

Annoyance maybe an understatement. I am running Firefox 3 and before beta on an Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. Firefox will crash without exception if I play a Flash embedded video, like from blogger here or from Youtube. Again, totally anecdotal, no science to back it up.

I have done some Google searching but have yet to find a work around that really works for me much less a solution to the problem. It really is no good considering Flash is almost an integral experience for web browsing nowadays. With Firefox crashing, that's really no good. Using Flash for your page may not be the greatest idea but as it is, this Firefox and Flash really need to be addressed and resolved as soon as possible. But instead it's like languishing in the back burner.

5 comments:

  1. Are you able to watch YouTube videos or Daily Motion video clips on your Linux machine, buddy? I bet you can't. And that's a humongous problem for any typical homo sapien sapien living in the noughties of the 21st Century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good things there are always alternatives to work around this inconvenience, this unpleasantry. But frankly I am disappointed at the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do those alternatives include using another Web browser such as Flock & Safari, or going back to your MS Windows machines to watch the clips, buddy?

    I bet you might go into technical details now that I ask about it, man, and since I'm not even half as tech-savvy as you are please make it brief for me. I started you off on this 'cos I've always been inspired by you and your technical know-how.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ss,
    No, there is no technical details. I am not some computer scientist. Just close the browser and do it again. Or don't see the video or use another computer with Windows.

    It's really bad. In my experience, Firefox 2 doesn't have this problem with flash.

    IT'S THE BIGGEST LET DOWN FOR ME.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try mine [my Firefox] using my Red Flag Linux Desktop 6 notebook PC when I get a chance and then tell you the result. Too bad it hasn't got WIFI and I've got to go on the NET and do that the old way [plugging in a cable]. I tried that before at L's and sent you guys an email from there. Remember?

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....