Thursday, July 02, 2009

Haircut

I decided to clean up myself before I go home, to see my mom. The haircut I usually get from Flushing hasn't been all that satisfactory. It isn't exactly bad either as with a face like myself I simply can't have a bad hair cut--feel free to throw up on your keyboard. I avoid going to any salon with stylists I just need somebody to cut my hair with skills and patience and doesn't remind me how awful my hair is and I need to do highlight or a perm or other nonsense.

I checked out one on 10 Doyers Street. Don't let the name "beauty salon" fool you or embarrass you. It's just a barbershop perhaps with some service for women, but it's a barbershop no less. Once I saw a couple of old guys cutting hair for even older men I felt safe to go inside. The gent who cut my hair is in his 60s, speaks a mix of Shanghainese, Mandarin and Cantonese as I would expect from such an establishment. The shop is kind of shabby and around the shop are similar establishments which are equally seedy or if you prefer they have certain unadorned simplicities and old world charms. The barber cut my unruly mane short with a few different shears, a clipper and finished it off with a deadly vintage Henkel straight razor. The barber sat me on a plastic stool in front of a sink next to a bathroom, shampooed my hair just like how I remember it from way back. Since I just shaved with a straight razor in the morning, rare but true, so I declined the shave offered. He finished the whole experience with a blowdry prefaced with some oily hair product and finished with a fire breathing dryer that guaranteed my hair stays put for the rest of my life as god intended.

The whole deal was a cool $9. Any guy should be proud to have a cheap and good haircut. If you are anal and care a lot about cleanliness and personal hygiene then perhaps Hip Kee is not for you, but for $9 I am all for it.

1 comment:

  1. we will bring you to Shenzhen for hair washing, you will like it

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....