Thursday, October 23, 2008

Something About Fashion

Is it possible to write about fashion and not appearing glib and frivolous? This is a rhetorical question like asking "Do I look like a douche if I use (read: pathologically, obsessively, obtrusively flaunt) a Mont Blanc/Rolex/iPhone/cuff links all at the same time?" The answer is "It would be very hard not to."

To write about fashion is to acknowledge its importance which is kind of counter intuitive. As fashion is inherently transient and is a trade defined by trends and hypes which better just lasts for one season. I admire people who are good at writing about fashion like Cathy Horyn, she invariably adds gravitas to what she is talking about without sounding too self important or ludicrous even deep down I think it's totally ridiculous to pay $5,000 for a pee wee Herman suit. As to myself, I resort to some lame old cover my ass preemptive disclaimer like "I don't know dickson about fashion..." to weasel my way out, just like most people preface their movie review by saying this is not a movie review.... Writing is hard, writing fashion is even harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....