Tuesday, October 07, 2008

How To Talk To Old (Grumpy) People

I am starting to take a personal interest in reading articles of this nature because I feel like I am getting old not just older. Not only there is children talk but there is actually elderspeak and the worst offenders are none other than health workers who inadvertently talk down to their clients by prefacing and peppering their talks with "dear", "sweetie" or "young lady" which to many already grumpy old souls are actually belittling and offensive. I guess sometimes it depends but many times language of this nature is indeed condescending and offensive. Just like at work, sometimes younger female co-workers are being addressed as girls I personally find that condescending and offensive even though sometimes they sort of earned it themselves.

More.

4 comments:

  1. you are handsome man, and still very much attractive to your female co-workers, it's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call the girls in the office the "girls in the office". I call the female students in the class (even though they are proper grown women often much older in me) the "girls in the class". And the grown men in the class, some decades older than me, the "guys in the class".

    I've always thought that people like to be called one of the girls (or one of the guys)? In fact the grown women refer to themselves as girls sometimes. But perhaps I've been unconsciously causing offense all this time and not know anything about it... (Probably not the first time this happened).

    At least I have never called an elderly woman a "dear" or a "love" though, it's strictly a term that they use to refer to the "young ones" like me rather than the other way round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang Seng Index going down to toilet, a new record below 16,000. I have to fxxk Uncle Sam and the Yanks like you, the guys who worked in Manhattan, what fxxking are you doing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Language is not an exact science, so I guess it really depends on the circumstances. At work I try to be cautious.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....