Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Father's Thought

Is there such a thing called unconditional love?

It must be some cosmic accident or something, I was trying to help Harry complete his book report of some sort. Everything was pretty well laid out by his teacher. Actually I wish I had his kind of guidance when I was growing up. Here I go again, faulting my parents being illiterate or semi-illiterate. They have this structure like First, next, then, after that, finally, my favorite part, and connection. I thought that was smart. So I tried to work this format with Mr. Harry after he finished the First part. And toward the end, maybe it was me or maybe it was him being too tired. He just wouldn't change a thing on the connection part. I was pretty angry at him. I thought for all the things I've done for him, he wouldn't even change one last sentence so it makes more sense or at least makes me happier. Rather than saying I am angry, maybe I am more disappointed. I expect my love to be reciprocated the way I expect it even he is just a seven year old.

7 comments:

  1. fortunately I do not need to do all these kind of stuff, but I have to admit that you are a perfect dad, I just practice TKD with little William

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what you wrote, beware of:
    "I thought for all the things I've done for him" and "I expect my love to be reciprocated the way". You will fall into "old father" syndrome.

    We all don't get much attention when we are small. But what I see is this generation of kids got to much attention and becoming weaker and weaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I want my kids growing up with love, self assured and independent. It will be a bonus if they happen to love me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh fuck, I got into this "old father" syndrome already. Oh fuck, oh fuck. I thought I am one cool dad. 5 5 5 5 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take it easy bro, give your 7-year-old a break, thinking back on what you were like when you're 7 and you'll instantly be out of the "old father" syndrome. In fact, we're all in the learning stage of being a father at this point in our lives. And I believe it would be easier if u expect less or none reciprocated from what you've done for him since afterall love is so abstract and untouchable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Henry, yes, I know I am setting up myself for failure....

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't get me wrong; I was just trying to offer a different perspective. And I do believe Mr. Harry feel your love, he's just not able to follow your thoughts yet. And yes I think there IS unconditional love, it's inexplicably there.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....