Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Mom, Look, There Is No Lens Cap


The lens has scratches and marks and it doesn't come with a lens cap. So it's naked. The upside is I never miss a picture because I forgot to take the lens cap off.

One good thing about the P is you can easily leave the film leader out without much guessing. Once the little red eye stop spinning when you are rewinding, you know the film is out of the take up spool on the right and not yet back in the cassette cartridge. Of course, if you want to micro adjust the the length of the lead sticking out, like getting 39 or 40 exposures out of a 36 roll, then you need to be more careful. But it's really great if you process your 135 roll film. I never needed to use a can opener because I always leave the film lead out.

8 comments:

  1. 50mm 1,8f that's lovely :)

    without lens cap, you may perhaps use a uv filter (forget the exact name) to protect it... i used to leave it there without cap, so it would be faster to film and i wouldn't forget the cap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting for you to send me the UV filter ....

    I want to get a yellow filter for black and white.

    f1.8 is not too bad. Canon made a f0.95 but I think it only fits a Canon 7 rangefinder. Anyway, the f1.8 I have is not shabby despite all the imperfections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where did you get this Canon camera? steal in a Museum?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very surprised to see some more information in this post. Well, it's probably an error.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, thanks to RSS feed and my own stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have never owned one less then f2,8 so i would say 1,8 is already largely sufficient to me :D

    oh yes yellow filter should be nice for b/w and it also worths investing on a polarizer!! it is so great on both b/w and color... you'll see big difference... won't regret...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have polarizer and yellow filter already but they are for my Nikkors 52mm filter size. The rangefinder lenses I have are of unusual filter sizes, 34mm and 40mm for the 35mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 respectively. Ebay has some but I am not sure if I want to get some at this point or simply to get step up ring to use the 52mm filters I already have. I don't think it's that convenient to use the polarizer on the rangefinder at all as I can't directly see through the shooting lens.

    The fastest lens I have is my Nikkor 50mm f1.4 manual focus lens.

    I only use the polarizer on a few occasions about 10 years ago. I will see if I have more chances to use one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok lcl you have taught me a word !! didn't know rangefinder means that kind of camera haha, see i am so bad in english :D
    btw since i have my little automatic digital i have not touched my small nikon anymore, now full of dust...

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....