Saturday, February 06, 2010

Friendly Vendor

New Yorkers are incredibly friendly.  I feel enormously thankful to strangers.
Canon RF 35mm f2.8

Sometimes, I wonder I can probably put a coke glass in front of the camera and it's still be acceptably good.  Just kidding. I used to be very very anal about how clean the lens is.  I mean I still do.  But ever since shooting these two lenses from the 1950s I guess some scratches really don't mean anything.  Bottom line is the picture.  While scanning, I notice sometimes Dust Removal is just too smart for its own good.  Sometimes, some facial features are considered as dust and the result can be strangely appalling.  I can't do this to the nice people in my pictures.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:44 PM

    This guy looks very grass roots, probably a new immigrant. I like him. Welcome to America.

    路人甲

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many ways to shoot an environmental portrait or candid. But I honestly think it's inherently good to talk to the person then shoot. I may or may not get a better picture. But somehow I feel like I can make a better world out of this little interaction. It's like a close encounter. It's like you find some common ground. It's a beautiful thing. He looked hostile when seeing me with the camera pointing in his direction though I honestly didn't press the shutter, then I walked up to him and talked to him and he became a different person. Very friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:35 PM

    Yes, he looks very friendly. But to break the ice, did you need to buy a bottle of water from him first? And how much does it cost? Does he speak English?

    路人甲

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bottle of water costs I think $1. He speaks some English. To break the ice we talked about camera. How my camera is older than me. It's manufactured in August, 1959. No I didn't buy anything from him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:27 PM

    You're not doing anything to help the economy. Shame on you.

    路人甲

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right on. I shall go and buy from him something, anything. I will see if I can print a picture of him and give to him. I wasn't going to say it until I got it done but since you shamed me publicly. The computer that has the scans crashed and burned I doubt if I can retrieve them. Seriously it actually burned. So I may need to scan all of my negatives from Nov 2009. Woo hoo.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....