Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Typewriter

I am so old that not only do I know what a typewriter is, I actually used one both at school and at work.  That's how old I am.  When I first learned how to type, a typewriter was the tool I used not any fancy keyboard attached to any computer.  I pretty much self taught myself with some help from my sister and her textbook.  I remember I brought a typewriter with me all the way from Hong Kong when I first came to New York.  I thought gee everybody needs a typewriter and it's the present and future of writing.  A piece of paper, a qwerty keyboard and a lot of hammers rising and falling, mechanically and magically.  I wonder where it is now.

Award winning American writer Cormac McCarthy is auctioning off his old typewriter which had been used for his writings including among many others "No Country For Old Man" and "The Road," both have been adapted for the big screen.  For most people a typewriter isn't practical any more but I guess for some, and there are always some, it's the only way to work.

PS:  The NYT story has been slashdotted.

2 comments:

  1. Men, that mechanically is not an office equipment. It is a sport machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fingers got some pretty good exercise back then.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....