Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Black And White From Yashica Mat-124 G

WARNING:  ANOTHER VERY BORING POST

I redeemed myself.  I shot a roll of 125PX earlier and I developed it when I got home.  I am now washing the film in the washbasin, once it hit 30 minutes, I will give a one-minute photo-flo bath and hang it up to dry.  I just peeked at the first few frames and they looked good, at least I didn't introduce any kinks while I loaded the film onto the steel reel.

Okay, I just finished everything.  I hung up the roll and I noticed something.  The square image, unfortunately, shifted just a tiny little bit to the left with emulsion side facing away and the first frame at the bottom.  What it means is the bump on the bottom of the camera caused a shift of the back ever so slightly that the image no longer stays on the dead center of the roll.  As the image is actually upside down when in the camera, so I think the back has shifted a bit to the left pulling the film with it.  The problem is more pronounced in the middle of the roll as the edge of the image ever so slightly touches the Kodak code on the edge.  I don't know if it merits a trip to the repairman, the last time I got a quote from a well known repairman I didn't do it.  It was expensive though I am quite sure it's gonna be worth it.  I may want to check earlier negative see if it has the problem, because honestly I don't know for sure if this is a pre-existing condition or not.

Another thing I notice, though not really related to the Yashica, but it's more a general 120 roll film thing.  So far I have been leaving the tape that tapes the film and the backing paper on the film when developing, I just ripped the backing paper from it and taped it back on the glossy side of the film.  On second thought after having developed four rolls, I think it might not be such a good idea to leave it there, especially the practice of taping it back on the film.  It tends to retain the chemicals, the next time I better rip the tape off, if not the whole tape at least the part left after the backing paper is off.  It's not a major problem but I can see it can be a potential problem.  I saw bluish liquid dripping down from the tape area, even the thirty-minute wash didn't remove those chemicals trapped in the taped area.  The film should be free from chemicals after the wash.  Next time I should rip the tape off completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....