Sunday, December 06, 2009

Paralysis By Analysis

I don't build my computer every three months or six months or even every three years.  The last time I built something from the ground up so to speak was more than seven years ago when single core AMD Athlon 1.4GHz was respectable.  Fast forward to 2009 and a quick trip to newegg, AMD AM3 is the top dog and Intel i7 is the top of the very top as far as desktop build is concerned.  Once the kind of processor is decided, then the case, the kind of motherboard, the memory.  If I opt for micro ATX case, then what I gain on space saving, I lose out on choices of motherboard and expandability.  And even for individual components, there are always mixed reviews, the more you read it the more confused you got.  And it can get numbingly complicated.  But I guess at some point I just need to pull the trigger (or totally give up) as there isn't one perfect computer, there got to be some compromise.  Even I sound like I am a bit frustrated, but I still think I will enjoy more by building my own computer than simply buying one online or from a store.  It's just too easy.

6 comments:

  1. boring, we are not interest in your computer building, please upload Chrissie's pics, her latest DVD is now on sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. boring, we are not interest in your computer building, please upload Chrissie's pics, her latest DVD is now on sale

    ReplyDelete
  3. wp2007, I know I am never good enough for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are certainly right about "there isn't one perfect computer". And you could subsitute computer for any toy you want to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, you will be a better Blogger if you continue to upload some Chrissie's pics on your Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a builder so it's kind of overwhelming to do all this search finding to optimize the build. Does this or that PSU fit the mATX box? or how well this mobo work? And even the RAM voltage plays a part and sometimes explains how some system can't boot up or not stable. There are tons of information out there. Usually AMD is just as good as Intel BUT one time I tried a Linux program and the binary just doesn't work great with AMD and you need to re-compile from source ... and I guess it's always good to compile from source. Oh well. I probably want a Windows 7 and an Ubuntu, at least dual boot if not OS X.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....