Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Tree On 42nd Street



Scanning film (on the Epson V500) is an exercise in frustration. Somehow I think scanning at 2400dpi and with all adjustments off except dust removal set at medium gives me the best look for black and white.

I can never really save any settings. Even I turned off the Unsharp Mask, it would creep back in automatically. So that's weird and buggy. You can't really name your setting it's automatically named like setting 1, 2 and 3 and so on. But it doesn't work anyway. After Preview, I have to uncheck the adjustment that automatically added by itself but I have to select all before doing that, otherwise, it would only apply on the selected image instead of what I really want which is all the images. I found the software buggy and annoying.

2 comments:

  1. May be you could try to set the USM amount to 0% instead of turning it off. Unfortunately as users, we always need to find our own workaround.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The USM is set at low, medium and high I recall (not professional AT ALL, even it said professional mode). When it's turned on like by itself, the image looks too grainy for my taste. If I want USM, I can do it post scanning.
    I don't know why the Epson flatbed scanners in general got such a high praise. So imagine what the rest are like. Scary. This is really a case of you got what you paid for. The thing works but not like it just works, everything needs some tweaking from mounting the film to using the software. You got to babysit the process. No way it's professional.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....