Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Book Review

Lame-O Book Review where you find book reviews at their lamest.  Presented by yours truly with warts and all.

Animal Farm:  I read it when I was in junior high school perhaps.  I couldn't remember half of it.  So I felt like I need to read it again.  I think Molly is an interesting character, all she cares about is her ribbon and sugar.  Who cares about revolution if it takes away my ribbon and sugar.  Molly is the every man.

1984.  Since I read Animal Farm, might as well read 1984.  The middle got a bit long winded when Orwell talked about Oceania and the wars and what Newspeak is.  It's bit complicated but overall I really like how he puts things together.  The story is depressing with a capital D and very intelligent and cerebral.

The Road.  You think there is something going on on the next page, no there isn't.  It's page after page after page of despairs and hungers.  This is just post-apocalyptic at its very worse.  If you've already felt like to kill yourself then don't read it.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:17 PM

    I read the Chinese version in high school. I only remember Snowball and Napoléon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not too bad. I read the English version but I seriously can't remember if the teacher finished teaching it or not. For the most part, I think I just daydreamed my classes away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the simplified Chinese series in a Magazine for primary school kids when I was P4 or P5, I only remember Benjimin, the poor donkey that finally died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wp2007
    Man, you have excellent memory. Benjamin is the old wise guy who have seen it all and knows it all. Like everybody else he dies but only due to old age so he does well compared to other animals who got purged out of the farm or outright killed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when I was young, in P4 or P5, I didn't know the political implication of Animal Farm, when I am getting older, I am too lazy to read the Animal Farm any more. In fact, I seldom did any serious reading for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wp2007:
    You are very familiar with modern and contemporary Chinese history. You need all there is to know so you don't miss anything.
    What happened to Vince? Is he traveling?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take it back, not only Chinese history, history and current affairs in general. And plenty of latest technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. animal farm was one of our form 3 english literature textbooks, didn't really understand it at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I am more interest in Ngai Chun and Vivian Chow, Richard Lee and Isabella, Edisen Chen and Gillian Chung, Professor Da Vinci was missing in action, may be he join the team of PLA Navy to Somalia, but Standard Charatered Marathon 2009 will coming soon, read the local newspaper, you may find him

    ReplyDelete
  10. md:
    We probably have a similar syllabus (though I posit I am at least 3-4 generations older). The book was supposed to be written in plain English which I think it is but back then it just didn't get my interest and way too complicated and I daydreamed my days away. But the seed was sowed. It took me maybe 20 some years later to re-read the thing and kind of appreciate Orwell's prose and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3-4 generations... i think u r not that old. if i were "lucky", i should have a kid too. :) ha!

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....