Tuesday, February 24, 2009

State Of The Union Address

Basically it's uplifting. Nancy Pelosi is the biggest and probably the oldest cheerleader in Congress. She pretty much stood and applauded on every line Obama delivered. But I don't hold it against her, the President did what he does best: talking big. The problem is can he deliver? Or do all the plans work? Or more importantly, do I benefit? Personally I want a stimulus plan for myself too, like a plan to redo my kitchen with a Viking range and a Sub-zero fridge.

I am surprised a lot of folks were asking for the President's autograph as he found his way out of the chamber after the speech. I fully expect to see his autograph on ebay now as the economy is so bad members of the Congress will no doubt have to auction off his autograph. I was thrilled to see Clarence Thomas who was famous, allegedly, for accusing someone putting pubic hair on his can of coke; perhaps his most enduring legacy, that's all I can remember of him, which sadly speaks volumes what a person I really am.

The Republican response or rebuttal or prepared speech as delivered by Louisiana's Bobby Jindal could not be more freaky. I mean not the content per se but the guy's persona as coming through the TV. I wouldn't be comfortable sitting with the guy in the same room, not that it's going to happen ever.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:25 PM

    It is a State of the Union Address tradition that people ask for the President's autograph. Bush did it; Clinton did it. Well, we didn't get one penny from the stimulus package because we are self-employed. To rub salt in the wound, there is a 1% increase in sales tax and 0.25% increase in state income tax in California. Lucky us. I think it is a good-cop bad-cop thing.

    That said. I like the speech. I also like the tone asking Americans to look forward and not be quitters. But how? I don't care much about "leading the world" at all. It is the self-imposed importance that got us into trouble in the first place. I am not into protectionism either but I do want to see our government focus more on the citizens for a change.

    I am kind of excited about the health care reform. Today I heard Pres. Obama will be asking for over $600 billion as "down payment" to fix the health care system.
    He must be dreaming out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recession is all too real. Hopefully government can lead the way or at least not get in the way. It's very scary now.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....