Friday, November 07, 2008

Random Thoughts

A couple of days ago I went to the library to return a book I couldn't finish.  It was bad.  The good thing was I didn't waste any money buying a book I couldn't finish because I would have hated that.  After returning the book with much shame, I stopped by the book sale.  There I found some nice hard cover books for sale.  Even one by Ansel Adams, The Camera.  The book was like new and it only cost three dollars.  Still I was hesitant to buy it because I already knew all I needed to know about photography 20 years ago.  So what is the point of getting the book?  That was my ego speaking.  The real reason was of course I was afraid I would have bought a book that I couldn't or wouldn't finish.  And worse, I would have deprived somebody the chance of reading and owning a great book at a bargain basement price.  But I bought it anyway together with another even cheaper one dollar much thicker hardcover book.  So far I have been enjoying the book on my commutes and I can safely say that I will finish the book with no problem.  Mr. Adams voice came out very clear and informative, though I knew everything there is to know about photography ....  Anyway, reading The Camera definitely helps me keep up with ghorse whose photographic knowledge is unparallel and unprecedented of all the people I know and I know a lot of people.  The last six words of the last sentence is a lie, I hardly know anybody but I just know ghorse is good even 20 years ago.  In terms of photography knowledge, I was and am always behind him.

4 comments:

  1. Next time you see the Ansel Adam's book at 3 dollar, please help get a copy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep an eye on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So inquiring minds want to know: what's the other book that you couldn't finish because it's crap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner. I was too embarrassed to mention it by name. I just couldn't visualize the story when I was reading it so I gave up. I was just attracted to the title, I thought how could was that.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....