Friday, November 14, 2008

My Comme des Garcons H&M Experience . . .


I finally succumbed to the hype and the brainwashing H&M spam in my inbox . . . I visited the H&M store on 51st and 5th Avenue. I am telling you, there are still merchandise left a day and a half after the Thursday launch, both for the men and women. Like I said before, New York people are pretty jaded. I found at least two size 42 men's suits. It was my size and I actually tried them on. But since I don't wear suit anymore so I left them for somebody else. I heard people say the quality is so and so. But gee for $249 I think the quality is not bad at all actually pretty top-notched. Even the buttons on the sleeve are functional. I don't see that too often for a $249 wool suit. The pants are reasonably cut, meaning not for somebody who is an adult but weighs 90 lbs and with prepubescent waist like 28, I heard Dior and Prada are pretty good at making miniature suits for boy-men. There are plenty of polka dot polo shirts and peacoats. As for the women's side, there are plenty of shirts, pink and polka dots varieties and trench coats too. I say the quality is very much what I expected or a bit better. If you want the real thing, prepared to pay like ten times more.

I say if you find something you like and fits you, it's a buy.

Addendum:
You know I can see why Gap is slumping, even the Sartorialist is no longer saying any good thing about the Gap any more. Instead he is doing a video interview for H&M in praise of its Comme des Garcons collaboration. And Jcrew, the hopelessly unapologetic preppy brand is sliding after few years of success. People need change and nothing changes faster than the clothes at H&M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....