Sunday, August 24, 2008

Movie Mini-Review: Death Proof

Why it's a mini-review? Because I can't write, that's why.

I finally caught up with Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof. It was one of the double feature when the movie Grindhouse was first released in 2007. The other was Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror which I haven't seen, i.e. I plan to see it. Given the nature of this movie, I saw it in the basement so the kids and the women can't see it.

I saw the DVD version which was labeled as extended and uncut, whatever that means. I bought that when I was shopping for Yu-Gi-Oh cards with my kids. I have a weakness for DVDs, especially when they are marked down, which they always are now, unlike five or six years ago. I think Tarantino was at his effortless best. Great dialogues, great characters, great humor, great actions, great soundtracks and minus a "complicated" storyline. The story is told straight forward, no story told backward or mutliple plot lines interwining a la Pulp Fiction. The soundtrack is great and there is really nothing to complain. I think it's very enjoyable especially if you are into fringe or even depraved characters, I know I am.

4 comments:

  1. boring, I protest in here again, please learn from our Professor Sin, write some more exciting stuff for us, please

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing about Quentin Tarintino - he's got some cool music and he knows how to use it. So that's really two things but you get the point. I agree that the soundtrack and dialogue were great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't he once say he has some music in mind when he writes certain scenes? Or I totally made that up?

    His sound tracks always seem right on. He is a great writer in addition to being a great director.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....