Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cooking While Camping

I brought some fruity extra virgin olive oil for salad as well as for sauteing. In retrospect, it wasn't exactly a good choice fro the latter. I believe it has a lower "boiling point" and it gets all smokey pretty fast. It's good for salad but not so good if you want to sauteed. Just plain olive oil is better for cooking.

Cooking utensils. I love my 8 inch cast iron skillet. I adore it. It's heavy, it's tough and it's practically free if you compare other similar skillets say from All-clad. And above all, it gets the job done. I brought mine to camping. Sometimes, I see other campers who bring those girly silly non-stick skillets with plastic handle. I say trash them. They are really good for nothing. The plastic handle is going to melt, the non-stick coating is going to wear out. Plus food got burnt much easier on those flimsy skillets. I can't imagine putting one of those plastic handle skillet on a camp fire to cook anything. Sure, over a gas stove it would work, somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....