Thursday, May 21, 2009

Michael Clayton

Library movie DVD review time.

This time is a movie I long avoided simply because I was no fan of George Clooney. I guess to a certain extent which I actually meant totally, it's irrational. How can this good looking man be so popular among women? Right, it doesn't make sense. Well except it does and by viewing this movie I think I have come to accept him as a fine actor with a good look.

What can I say? This is not exactly your typical Hollywood kind of entertainment movie. This is not for 17 years old. This is an adult movie, with adult characters, about human existence, moral dilemma and some shit that adults have to deal with. It's a multi layered, multi faceted and multi threaded story. I think Tony Gilroy did a very fine job in writing the story and telling it on celluloid as a director. Was it a bit self indulgent? You bet it was. I think all self assured writers and directors are self indulgent. I was equally impressed with the second Bourne movie, of which he was the screen writer, the last three minutes when Bourne atoned his sins really gave the character a soul and Matt Damon a chance to showcase his acting chops. Even he was credited as a writer for the third Bourne movie, Ultimatum but according to an article in The New Yorker, he kind of disowned it and never saw it, no wonder it's selling for $5.99 now. I digressed. For some reason Tilda Swinton just looked real and surreal to me. She was all flesh, full sized, at times sweaty, woman in the movie. She is also captivating simply because she is there, with her out of this world look; a screen presence to be reckoned with. Equally impressive are the supporting cast, every single one of them.

I recommend. **** stars, only if you have nothing better to do at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....