Thursday, July 17, 2008

Project Runway

Project Runway is on its 200th season and Heidi Klum as her usual self looks gorgeous and makes everybody looks like crap. Her bitch Tim Gunn is again at his very best being the bitchy mentor who always reminds people to make it work. I like him being Klum's bitch, his own show with Veronica Webb is unwatchable. I wonder if he still has that show.

So this 200th season has again the usual suspects. Basically a bunch of professionals cum drama queens who have earned their chops to gain a spot on the show.

On this premiere episode, the contestants were to make some garments out of merchanize from a grocery store. The obvious choice for the imagination-challenged contestants was of course table cloths. The winner was a top and a skirt outfit made out of coffee filters and vacuum bags, with burnt marks over material to give the outfit another level of uniqueness if you will; the outfit was well put together. Personally I like the sheath that's made out of blue plastic cups. The guy ironed the cups into submission and made a dress out of it, and I am frankly impressed by the choice of material and craftmanship, it's just that I don't think the model can ever sit down on it. A better choice would be the bustier top stays put but chooses another material for the bottom half of the dress, that's from me somebody who doesn't know dickson about fashion or sewing. Anyway, everybody is an expert when it comes to blogging.

Then we have the bottom two. There we had this 42-year old whose design MO is rock and roll and a bit gothic. So her obvious choice was black plastic garbage bags. But from the moment she opened the package she was seen bitching incessantly about the material. And from there on I didn't see her doing anything to the material except complaining. And in the end, she pretty much draped the garbage bag over her model with stitching here and there so the "dress" if you can call it that, wouldn't fall apart. But it's obviously garbage bags, there was no transformation of the material what so ever. The other bottom candidate was an Asian dude. He, in the beginning, had all the ideas and proclaimed that he was going to make something better from better stuff, unlike others. And of course, towards the end, he was sweating and just scrambling to finish. Oh well when your aspiration is bigger than your talent, that's what happened. In the end, he made a white rain coat out of shower curtains, with additional top and skirt. The judges hated the outfit because it looked weird, in a bad way, and looked much like something you would wear in the hospital or worse in an asylum. Personally I think if anything, it does remind me of works from some crazy or genius Japanese French designers. And I mean it as a compliment. So the judges decided that the Asian dude was the "out" guy in the "one day you are in and the next day you are out" guy. Actually he was never in, he was just out the first day, poor guy. I think it was a travesty of justice. The garbage bag lady should be the one got ousted. The dress was just a lazy put together with absolutely no effort on craftmanship and imagination. The dude, at least made an effort to transform the material and made a total outfit. And it turned out not as bad as the judges made it to be. Alas, it's television, there is no justice only ratings.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the great recap. Haha, I didn't realise the show is reduced to literally putting someone in a garbage bag and call it fashion!!

    You could write for Television Without Pity you know? I love the sarcasm on that site as they recap the travails of hapless reality show contestants, and often times, the writing is better (as in way funnier) than the actual show itself.

    We have US Project Runway over here too (as well as the UK version Project Catwalk). But we're usually a couple of seasons behind you. When it finally comes over here, I shall remember to look out for that hapless Asian dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I can't. But thanks for the kind words as usual. I found my writing depressingly bad. But never mind.

    I know the site television without pity, I always say without mercy. I wrote mine without reading theirs first. And I just read it now. Seems like they also thought the raincoat sucks. I think it's relative, I just thought the garbage dress sucks harder, that's all.

    Man, you are on summer vacation, sort of, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the TWOP write-up yet about Project Catwalk, and actually haven't been reading that site for ages now (the last time I read that site was when I was missing episodes of Top Chef and needed desparately to catch up as I was so addicted to it!).

    Well we're indeed in the middle of the summer holidays, as in teaching officially stopped. But we're not actually off work at all, though I do have more flexibility to stay home and take study leave to polish my chapters (but of course, then I end up proscratinating by reading blogs online, oh the irony!).

    So better log off now before I do more damage to my progress or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....