Thursday, July 24, 2008

Eminent Domain

I revisited the NYPL exhibition Eminent Domain yesterday. Because I like photography. The exhibit is just close by so it really won't hurt to see it again.

Last time I didn't own a TLR and today I do own one so I have a newer perspective that I didn't have back a couple months ago.

Some of the "street photographs" were taken by Zoe Leonard
. Her forty pictures in exhibition were all in square format and further online searches reveal her aesthetics is really uncropped unphotoshopped pictures (and a bit more but those I don't understand and I don't care, something to do with shooting pussies). And in some of the pictures, I can actually see the photographer's reflection, with hunched back looking down a waist level viewfinder. What I am trying to say is she is a TLR shooter using 6 x 6 film, probably FUJI NHG. For the untrained eyes, myself included, her pictures are really snapshots of certain mundane street scences. But somehow when put together, having enough snapshots of similar themes, they kind of give themselves a voice, a collective voice. I am no artist but I think I somehow can appreciate her works. I remember once I read, a picture of a manhole cover (manhole as in a sewage opening on the street, not ass hole as in anatomy) is not that interesting but if you take pictures of manhole covers and make a collection out of them, then it could be very interesting. I guess Leonard's pictures are one of those manhole pictures, a single one of them is not that interesting, but if you have enough of them, they could be interesting.

More Leonard:-
An interview with Zoe Leonard, from the Journal of Contemporary Arts (I don't know half of what they are talking about)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....