Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 Is Here





Perhaps it's time to crank up my hardware just a notch so I can have a better experience with the OS and the applications.

I am doing the upgrade now ...

For packages:
65 are to be removed.
193 to be installed.
903 to be upgraded.

[I began this upgrade at 9.30AM]

And together 702M to be downloaded. It goes on to estimate that it will take 2 hours and 2 minutes. Wow, how does it get to the 2 minutes part?

But of course, that was an overly optimistic estimate, with the traffic and unpredictable nature of the Internet, now it says it's going to take more than a day to download the packages. The download speed varies quite somewhat, from 70kb/s to 200kb/s. So there you have it.

This one is code named Hardy Heron, and it's LTS, WTF is LTS? Well, it's long term support, meaning for server it's 5 years free upgrade and desktop 3 years from Canonical. Wow, that kind of make it a must have upgrade, isn't it?

[2.20PM]
It took about 3 hours to download the packages. Now it's installing the upgrades.

[3:48PM]
The system is done and needs a reboot.

So the entire upgrade didn't take 2 hours 2 minutes or did it take a day. It took 6.5 hours in all. The whole process went so smooth that it seems rather unreal. Most notable change is the default desktop picture. Other than that Firefox is now version 3 Beta 5. Oh, I am so shallow in Ubuntu. I think I will upgrade my other monster Ubuntu rig when I have more time or maybe when their server is faster, I don't know. Maybe 6.5 hours isn't bad I really don't know.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:48 AM

    You are one formidable Linux geek as well as guru, LAICHUNGLEUNG.

    I wish you were always by my side keeping me informed night and day, and we can use our Linux boxes together.

    I adore you and your marvelous Ubuntu 8.04

    One of Your Secret Admirers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm downloading the Live CD iso from MIT, it says 6min something here to complete. It looks pretty promising on the ~1.5MB/s download speed here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I also downloaded the CD last night, my speed was more like 50kbps, but I got it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....