Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Forbidden Kingdom

It got a user rating of 7.6/10 at imdb.com. So it has a real appreciative audience out there. As for me, I am most likely not their demographic audience. I think the movie looks like some low budget B movie with second rate action, third rate acting and fourth rate production. (I know the action was supposed to be choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping, and filmed by Peter Pau. Oh well, not their best works) OK, maybe Jackie Chan and Jet Li are sort of A-list foreign actors in Hollywood. The only reason I went to see the movie was because I wanted to have some father and son experience with the kids.

Alex kind of likes it. Since Alex kind of likes it, Harry says the same thing. But I know both were a bit scared throughout the movie and I didn't hear them laugh once maybe except when Jet Li was doing the unthinkable to Jackie Chan in the dessert. They think Transformers is better, that I agree. The C-word for Chinese were uttered more than once in the beginning of the movie. For a movie of this nature, I don't think it's all necessary.

First show, $8 each. Big popcorn and big soda, $10.75.

One more thing, I find it quite disconcerting to see the male villain has such heavy application of bluish black eye shadows.

UPDATE 4/30/2008:
I talked to another guy who happened to have seen this movie and he too heard the word "chink" a couple of times. I really feel the movie has no right to use that word. Jackie Chan and Jet Li should really know better. Why use an offensive, derogatory ethnic slur for a PG-13 movie, knowing full well that kids are going to see the movie. I can understand if it's a R-rated movie, in the proper context that would be acceptable. As it is I found its use totally unnecessary, stupid and offensive, more so coming from a mainly Chinese cast and crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....