Wednesday, April 02, 2008

hp notebook and sushi

My new HP (hard plastic) notebook. This little puppy runs Vista Business. So far I have experienced some minor annoyances. My good old Canon G3 doesn't have a driver for Vista. Windows sometimes doesn't wake up nicely, the screen stays off until the third time I press the power button. I want it to wake up the first time I press the power button not turning it off and back on, a total of three times hitting the power button. I notice there is sometimes left over Windows element on the screen. It didn't happen until a couple days ago, about two or three weeks into my usage. Maybe doing a power down would clear it. I don't normally turn off a notebook.

This was from a midtown sushi joint. I didn't order this, my friend from work did. It's a lunch special sushi set. The eel sushi was just unbelievably oversize, maybe that's what made it a special. I think Chiyoda is one of the better sushi joints I ever have, especially for a lunch and take-out restaurant. From the lunch menu, $9.50 for regular sushi set, and $12 for a bento box (mackerel, sashimi, california roll, salad). And I think they have the best chirashi, both in presentation and in quality.

5 comments:

  1. Looks lovely. I SO envy you your working computer, even if it has the odd glitch. At least you don't have any missing components that you paid good money for. Am trying my best not to sound bitter but WHY OH WHY do I always get the dud computers, even when I changed companies?

    But anyway, congrats on your new piece of kit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry it would be over soon.

    Over here, those USB network wireless adaptors and PCI wireless network card are really dirt cheap, thanks to cheap labor in China. And Newegg.com is my supplier. I don't talk to sales people, it's in their nature to screw you if you appear to be very screwable. Anyway, it's not worth the high blood pressure and all dragged out fighting.

    I had my own share of bad computing experience. My iBook died a premature death years ago after I pulled a all-nighter trying to fix the display. But I sort of expected that. Shit happens you just have to roll with it. What's important is to finish your thesis and still remain sane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With windows you expect to be annoyed. Mine never feel right. It hang with no response with my excel macro is running.

    The labor in China is getting more and more expensive so be prepare for another wave of inflation driven by increasing manufacturing cost in Chine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can kill the offending Excel macro, and Windows remains running, then it isn't too bad. If the macro brings down the whole OS, then it's really bad. I've written some macro and vba myself, you know the quick and dirty way. Sometimes I don't even know what I did after a few years or a few months. I have some old codes in Access 2000, and it runs okay in Access 2003 and I can even edit the tables okay, but once I open the vba code and save it, then everything got screwed up. I have yet to tackle that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ghorse, I think you are right on the money about China is getting expensive.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....