Sunday, August 30, 2009

Data Recovery

The 857th picture recovered. Camping 2009. The Canon SD880 IS, though is not water proof, but it did survive our 4 hour grueling white water rafting trip on Lehigh River. (the grueling and white water parts are of course my exaggeration, but the camera did get wet inside my pocket)

I thought I protected the last 23 pictures before I erased all the pictures in my camera. But apparently I didn't protect any pictures at all. When I pressed Play, it said no images. I am now enjoying data recovery from my SDHC card. The data recovery is in chronological order so I am recovering my earliest pictures which I actually don't need. I just need the last pictures. I am letting the program runs its course, so far I've recovered some 300 jpeg files. Not bad at all.

UPDATE 8/31/09
I almost recovered all the jpegs. Of the 857 files, only the first picture got corrupted, the rest are all safe and sound. Here is my experience.
I inadvertently erased all the files from the SDHC, thinking that I protected some of the images. I did not.
I didn't do any write to the card, that is, I left the card alone once I found out I made a mistake.
I searched online and found a freeware, called PC Inspector smart recovery. It took a minute to download and install.
I ran the program, then plugged in the SDHC card. The program didn't see the card. I exited the program, and re-run it, then the card was seen by the program.
It took 7.5 hours to recover the 857 files from the 8GB SDHC card and wrote to my notebook HD. All the files I wanted to recover were recovered.

6 comments:

  1. Not bad if you expected photos deleted is recoverable. It comes to surprise to many people when they find out their deleted (pron) photo is still available. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, we all know that, don't we. Even the freeware I used is powerful enough to recover almost all the files. I suspect if I use a hex editor, I might even be able to recover the very first jpeg that is said to be corrupted. But the rest are all good. Surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this info, probably another piece of life-saving equipment not too far in the future for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome. I am pretty pathetic. I guess I must have subconsciously secretly wanted it to happen. I was totally reckless. Anyway, I had a lot of pictures on the 8GB SDHC card from the Hong Kong/Taiwan trip so it took a rather long time to recover. But I am glad they were recovered. I downloaded that from cnet's download dot com. The company is I think German and the last update of the program was in 2004 but overall it worked quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good, data recovery at the time of river rafting.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....