Monday, August 17, 2009

Backup Finally



I just gave myself an excuse to buy a sata harddrive and an enclosure ... so that I can finally do some backup as I don't want to spend some $800 like r&e did ....

I bought a discounted 500GB harddrive (I am too cheap to go for any bigger plus I really don't have much to backup) and an alumininum enclosure that has an internal sata connection and external sata, FireWire 400 and USB2 connection. I think I have pretty much everything covered that is with the exception of a FireWire 800 connection. Well I rather have sata instead of FW800, anyway I don't see that happening any time soon given how old or backward all my machines are and how unlikely I am going to go for a new desktop.

I don't know how long it's going to take as my data files are about only 100GB or less. Anyway, I am sort of testing the backup process from Ubuntu as I really have no idea how things exactly work. I am using Simple Backup via FireWire.

To get the massive harddrive ready, I used GParted to do all the grunge work so I didn't have to. I proceeded kind of slowly given that I really don't know anything about disk and stuff. But I got it done, I formatted the drive to three partitions, ext3, NTFS and FAT32. So I can go around and back up stuff if I want to. Boring.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:01 PM

    Did you back up the whole system including the O/S or just the data files? How long did it take at the end of the day, buddy?

    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot to learn.
    I only backed up the \home directory, that's the data directory. The default was to exclude mp3 and mpeg kind of files and the first time I did it, I didn't edit that exclude file types so I didn't back up all my datafiles. So the first back up was mainly pictures with NEF and JPG extensions, I went to sleep and I woke up around 2 AM and it was done, so I guess it took 2-3 hours probably. I am sure I should be able to find some log to verify the time but I just don't know and the program itself doesn't show me that piece of statistics.
    I didn't back up the OS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The backup file is called files.tgz. So it's a real back up not like just copy the files. The backup file has a size of 59.1GB. The source should be about the same as JPEG is compressed already.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....