Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nikon L Focusing Screen For F5

I got this from Buy.com's marketplace. The vendor is from Brooklyn and I immediately thought ... well well well. But I proceeded with the order as the vendor got pretty good ratings and the screen isn't too expensive as I guess nobody is really shooting F5 let along getting the focusing screen that helps manual focusing. Only a dude like me would do such a thing. As it turned out, the vendor is pretty speedy and the item arrived yesterday. I placed the order on Thursday after 5PM, vendor shipped USPS priority with tracking on Friday and the package delivered on Monday.

I put the new screen in and it is just as described. And to my surprise, the screen actually affects the DP-30 meter depending on the lens amounted. As I read the information sheet, I actually have to dial down the EV reading if I use the 24mm f2 lens. I have to go through custom function 18, and set it to -0.5. I could not totally wrap my brain around this adjustment but I guess I just have to do it. Given the latitude of print films I don't expect to see a huge difference should I not even adjust it. All other lenses I have don't need this adjustment. Note to self, if I mount my AI Nikkor lenses, the 50mm, 24mm and the 35-105mm, the DP-30 viewfinder will default to center weighted metering and when only the 24mm is used with the L focusing screen, the EV needs to dial back -0.5 from custom 18.

Mir has this crazy information documented. Though the first time I read it I didn't pay much attention to the EV adjustment at all thinking that there is no way a focusing screen could affect the exposure. Well it does.

2 comments:

  1. I feel depressed that all of the above information is like complete gobbledegook to me. Arrrghhhh... This photography business is really a lot more difficult than I thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I feel depressed when I read your writings not because they are gobbledegook to me.

    The post is very specific to the Nikon F5, so it's OKAY not to know what I am talking about. As I said myself, I don't totally understand it either.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....