Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Shooting F5 In Times Square

At long last, I actually shot with my Nikon F5 and my 50mm f1.4. I loaded up the thing last week but just shot one picture. Very typical of me.

I was shooting my way to Times Square. The first shot was hard but then it got easier but never better. It was a new Times Square that I have never seen before, with a so called pedestrian mall where people can lounge on beach chair in sort of a make-believe beach right in the middle of Times Square. It is an interesting idea that David Letterman likes to make fun of.

I think it really takes some courage to be a street photographer it's definitely not for everybody. Again there is no set rules, I guess or I know I am no good with people. I don't want to just snap around. I believe in getting close to your subjects, either by developing a rapport or doing the complete opposite--total disregard of your subjects and getting blatantly close them. And I am not good at either and I don't believe in long lenses. I guess I better off stick to abstraction or what I think is abstraction of inanimate subjects. Anyhow, it's just my futile attempt to engage in something that's kind of fun and kind of arty farty.

As usual I left one last frame just in case I have the shot of my life happen somewhere on my way back and I wouldn't get caught with an empty camera. It's just a habit.

This time around I deliberately shot my Elite Chrome 200 at ISO 320 and going to push 1 stop in developing, as suggested by some helpful folk at photo.net. I just want to see what the pictures look like.

I just found out I have a finished roll of 135 film sitting somewhere in my closet and I have totally forgotten about it. I like this kind of discovery. I have another finished 120 roll film as well. So all together I have three rolls to be developed. Probably going to cost me quite a lot to develop and scan them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....