Tuesday, June 30, 2009

D90

I think I am not going to get another DSLR any time soon (well there is no but, I still think I am not going to get another DSLR). D90 is like a glorified D80 with video capacity. Or a dumbed down D300 with video. Not that it is bad or anything it's just that it is kind of bland. I was not too excited when it was first introduced last year. Then I got the video bug and I started to look into the Canon HV30 and the current HV40. With the HV models one would have to get an adapter in order to use any SLR 35mm lens to create that dreamy shallow depth of field. The HV40 retails from $799 to $999. And a refurbised HV30 costs close to $500. I have already a handful of Nikon glasses but still it's a sizable outlay considering I also need to upgrade my desktop should I really go ahead to edit HD. Then there is the Nikon D90 which readily uses any Nikkor lenses I already have. I am sure there are differences between shooting a camcorder and using DSLR for video capture. Then I read from NikonRumors that a feature by the name of Reverie was shot entirely in D90. And the cinematographer even came up with a paper to explain how he came about choosing the D90 as opposed to picking the seemingly better specs Canon 5DMkII model, full frame sensor and full 1080p HD for two. Considering most broadcasts either do 720p or 1080i, the 720p that the D90 offers is actually not half as bad. I mean a good video, other than good quality, the editing and story are just as important if not more so. The D90 looks more attractive to me now.

3 comments:

  1. Hi LCL, thank you for your link to the DP review website. It really is very informative. I'm still wending my way through the jargon page actually.

    I think I'm going to go for the Nikon D5000 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/page33.asp). Apparently it's positioned between D90 and D60. What do you reckon? As a complete amateur, I have a slight preference for Nikon rather than the Canon brand, if only because of the kind of photos I admire of Flickr, most of which seem to be taken with a Nikon camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ON Flickr of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were going to say the reason you lean more toward Nikon is because you've seen so many great pictures I made with my Nikon D70.

    I think the D5000 ought to be a very capable camera. You're going to have a lot of fun shooting with it. Two things: lens is a better investment. Cameras change very fast and lens don't and tend to hold value much better. Only one thing for now.

    You might want to check the price, see if it makes more sense to buy a D5000 in HK or in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....