Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mini Rant

My hp6910p continues to underperform or perform just as expected. There is no surprise on the upside only on the downside. I got myself a Kingston SDHC 8 GB card, and just as expected, it won't read it. So no surprise here as the reader only says SD. On another unrelated note, one of the keys on the keyboard just gone bonkers. So when I type, a letter just won't show up like it's supposed to be. I have to press it in a special way. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it actually is. It gets really annoying. On the other hand, my Linux cheapo hardware continues to surprise me on the upside. My super cheapo SOHOUSB reader/writer just reads the 8GB without any problem. And yes, the reader just says SD no HC there but it just swallows the card in whole and gives me an icon on the desktop that says 8.0 GB Media. It just works.

6 comments:

  1. I bet you cheapo card reader is slow as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I paid about $18 for the card and $20 for the card reader which is from a USB2 port sitting on a PCI card. I forgot the speed of the PCI slot but the top speed of USB2 is 480mbps. Anyhow, I am just happy that it works and speed is secondary for me; before I got that card reader I was using USB 1.1, it's excruciatingly slow. I remember I actually downloaded pictures using my D70 as a mass storage device, it was painful. Bottom line is it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds good. USB is lame the 480Mbps is a joke. My external USB drive never get close to that speed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spec looks good on paper, USB needs the help of the CPU so it actually sucks the juice out of the whole system and couldn't maintain the kind of throughput that Firewire does. Anyhow, Firewire 800 is out there. But honestly I am quite happy with the USB2 performance for what I do in general. I still haven't move any big files between different media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will know if you try to make a copy of 300GB of data. I am lucky to have a notebook with esata interface,so, I have config all external drive to use esata. Sustained speed is about 40-50MB/sec if you are copying "large" size files.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please voice out for Dr Liu

    劉 曉 波 涉 嫌 煽 動 顛 覆 國 家 政 權 罪 被 捕   代 表 律 師 正 跟 進

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....