Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kodachrome

I am not much of a photographer nor do I have a big collection of gears. I have a meager budget comparing to other big shots out there. You know everything is kind of relative. I have fun, now and then. I succumbed to the romantic vision of yesteryear and I ordered my Kodachrome (not the PKR, just KR) as yet another tribute to good old film photography. If, with any luck, my order actually goes through, I would be a proud owner of the now discontinued emulsion. But who knows? The site was crawling when I placed the order and I don't know if they actually have any stock in house. As most other major photographic super stores have gone out of stock already. And if you were to try eBay, it's just ridiculous. Oh well, everything old is new again. People in some twisted ways are longing for the good old days.

UPDATE 6/24/09: I JUST SAVED MYSELF A BUNDLE

Here is an email I got just now explaining that they actually don't have the inventory. Whoever built their website got lucky. The database doesn't support transaction? I have no clue but apparently something is amiss.

I received your order but unfortunately, we do not have the item in stock. You were allowed to place an order when we were out of stock. The last rolls sold Tuesday afternoon but the web-site was unable to keep up with the item status. I do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I will go ahead and cancel the order.

We greatly appreciate you thinking of us for your photographic needs. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding future orders. I hope to be assisting you in the future.

Sincerely,

[redacted]

5 comments:

  1. I do shoot Kodachrome for a period of time and also in my first photographic trip ever in Europe with 16 rolls of Kodachrome with me. It is fun to send out the film as you shoot them to labs in Europe and receive them rolls by rolls after I returned home.

    As you say, this is the good old days which I don't care anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the man. I might have shot some Kodakchrome as well during my trip to Beijing. But I can't be sure. They probably somewhere in HK, with molds and all. I think I like to shoot both, digital and film. Man, D700 still costs a fortune .... I am waiting and waiting for a FX with 1080p that costs no more than $2000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine get wash out by the pouring rain many years ago.

    The D700 is still the best in cost/performance IMHO. I might get another one if the price did drop significantly when its sucessor comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Mine get wash out by the pouring rain many years ago."
    What? Where and how you lived?

    Even my lowly D70 is reliable and unbreakable. I imagine the D700 is much better, plus I can input my AIS lens data and even meter through them. The D700 is still $2399, $400 totally overbudget, actually more like $1400 overbudget. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem is not when, where and how but who. The D700 is selling at HKD 17k now.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....