Thursday, January 29, 2009

Week In Review

I thought today is FridayThursday. But my wishful thinking doesn't quite advance the calendar and someone just reminded me it's only Thursday.

People just start drinking dishwater now. Starbucks is closing some 300 more stores and laying off more people.

I wasn't going to say anything about it because I was too livid to write anything. Still, I couldn't resist. Wall Street is going to pay out some $18.4 billion for 2008 for running the banks and the financial market to the ground. Compared to the $700 billion bailout money, $18 billion is really nothing. Plus more economics stimulus packages are on their way, so fear no more.

Week in Review Continues ...
For the sedentary and senile, their days of watching bad old analog TV are numbered. After February 17, it's going to be digital TV all the way. And a TV without a digital tuner won't be able to receive digital broadcast. If you were too inept to grab the $40 voucher (two for each household!) dished out by the administration to buy one of those digital to analog conversion boxes then you are doomed after February 17. The good news is you can spend more time reading some books or getting online exercising your brain(?) instead of watching TV like a couch potato which most likely just makes you dumber. NOTE: Don't worry about your rabbit ears antenna, it might just work with digital broadcast, don't be a sucker buying "HDTV antenna" or "DTV antenna."

More Week in Review (or rip-off from The New York Times)
Burger King offered you a free burger if you were to remove ten of your friends from Facebook. I would do anything for an artery busting burger but sadly I don't even have ten friends to unfriend in Facebook.

6 comments:

  1. It is really sad that only Uncle sam's printing workers will not get lay off. They have to work 7x24 to get the $$ print for the new administration to spend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starbucks: I used to pay abt CAD$5 for a daily vente chai latte, which came to $100 a month. Working for latte was real !!!

    Wall Street: In the world of high finance, greed is always the primal driver for success, and failure. Apparently, as long as the CEOs get their big bonus, performance matters little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Print print print!

    I don't believe it will help much. Just an Obama campaign promise. Even though I support Obama, I am not stupid to believe that the stimulus money will have much of an impact. Apparently the so-called middle-class in America is shrinking to the point that Democrats could actually win all three - House, Senate and the Presidency.

    Just looking at the daily job loss report make me wonder when it will be my turn. Very unsettling indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ghorse, haricot, exile:

    I don't know how Wall Street can dish out the amount of bonus they are going to dish out, it's obscene. Though if I were working in one of those firms, I certainly wouldn't mind at all. I used to think John Thain was a decent guy, well I guess he still is, and his loyalty is in the right place with himself (and family), his people, his firm, I guess it would be great to work for a guy like him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:22 PM

    I just read that the Chinese currently spend about $1.5 trillion, vs. the $10 trillion normally spent by Americans.

    Scary. Is it time to cut back or what? I personally am thinking about breaking our 3-vacations-a-year rule. I think Starbucks coffee is so over-rated. Nothing wrong with MacD premium
    brand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. exile:
    3 vacations a year. OKAY, I am SERIOUSLY jealous now.

    I like Starbucks coffee I think it's just more consistent than those at McDonald's. But I don't drink either that often at all. I drink the free coffee at work or some cheaper one at home.

    Haricot:
    I can't in good conscience consume even a $2 tall coffee from Starbucks every day. It's too much. Their bonus should be zero and their salary should be zero too and they should pay a fine like several millions for running the companies and the financial market to the ground. I say that because I don't work in the finance industry if I were, I wouldn't give a fuck, if they could get away with giving themselves $18 billions I don't see why they wouldn't, they should have given themselves more if there are more because who is going to stop them, nobody. If 18 billion is not enough, they should have asked for more, all they have to do is ask.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....