Saturday, May 05, 2007

Bad Handwriting is detrimental to your Job Application

A good job application letter and a good resume will get you an interview.

I was reading an article in mingpaonews.com regarding how fucked up university students are in terms of penning their job application letters (or how bad they are in modifying sample job app letters for their own use). In it there is a principal from some school who criticizes some applicants betrayed their poor penmanship by signing like a child. Apparently she is the boss, she can do anything she wants. Good thing I don't have to work for such anal-retentive person. I really think typewriter, keyboard and laser printer are the best inventions for people who has no or poor penmanship. Gosh, I think all her teachers probably write like those scripts in Hallmark cards.

Then the article goes on to say some applicants can't distinguish the use of "Yours Faithfully" and "Yours Sincerely." First, I don't think I would capitalize the second word (that could be the reporters' fault). All I know is I try to avoid using "faithfully" at all cost, it just sounds very anal-retentive but now I know why I didn't get no interviews, because most bosses are anal-retentive and they think they are the overlords and "sincerely" is never good enough for them. I think the usage is very much regional (and dare I say dated) as here I don't think people are so hung up on insisting people to be faithful. Here most employees are hired "at will," meaning no contract and employees can walk out anytime they want. If faithful is important to them, use faithful and just play by the rule. Because the goal is to score an interview, have some face time with your potential overlord.

One of the good things about job application here is you never ever have to send in any head shot unless you are applying for a model or something (that again explains why I didn't get no interview in Hong Kong). At least you are given a chance to meet your overlord purely based on your writing and your credential not your look. Of course, if your address is in some so called "estate" in some seedy neighborhood, that may turn off your potential employers too, you never know. Maybe it's a good idea to leave out the address, so they can't judge your upbringing, not that you are ashamed of it, you just want a level playing field. I don't know how acceptable it's that in the Hong Kong employment market. Maybe just leave it in, full disclosure, if they don't like it, fuck it, find another employer who can appreciate how far you came instead of where you came from.

Do applicants really wear scent to interviews? I say fuck it, leave your perfume, cologne, toilette or whatever fancy concoction you have at home or wear it when you go out on a date. Don't distract your interviewer.

7 comments:

  1. I watched some of the BBC DVD "Secrets of the Sexes" not "The secret of sex" as I mentioned earlier. They quoted the result of their experiment that pretty, sexy and busty girls are well received, both in datng of working environment. Thus big breast may be more effective than good handwriting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't try to backpedal now. There is nothing to be ashamed of watching "The secret of sex."

    Good penmanship lands you some shitty job in teaching, while a good body lands you a job in some fortune 500 firm, what do you pick, fucking practice your penmanship which nobody really cares except the principal or work on your knowledge and skill set?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it depends on what kind of job you are seeking ? Now the most rewarding job in HK is not investment banker or stock broker, the most rewarding job is "Fu Shui Master" like Mak Ling Ling or Tong Chan.

    Finally I spent 2.5 hours to finish the BBC DVD "Secrets of the Sexes", with many good insight for me, the most appealing for attracting women is not your handsome face or musclar body, it's your height, represet power, engergy and capability. I won't surprise, Robert proved that he's the most skillful lady killer among us because of his height.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm old-fashioned, guys. I still treasure good handwriting albeit computer-aided word processing increasingly eliminates the need to write with pen and paper.

    BTW, Will's handwriting is awful, beyond imagination, to be precise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Mr Ngan Chun Hing and Wong Hei Chi. I am in a jealous rage now.

    And I think Vincent sucks at penmanship and definitely wp2006 too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you are right, I envy those guys who have good penmanship like Sid

    ReplyDelete
  7. My handwriting surely doesn't qualify as penmanship. It's just mediocre, if not bad.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....