Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Sweet Bitter Truth

After reading the NYT article, Is Sugar Toxic?, I think I will stop drinking soda.  Maybe for a week at least.  Over here, Coke still uses high-fructose corn syrup or HFCS whereas in England, it is disallowed--a friend told me that, if it's wrong, blame him not me.  I was reading the article through a tiny screen under glaring sunlight and chilly April wind in what some calls 15 years ago China, aka Flushing, sitting on the dirty slimy stairs outside the closed Flushing Main Street library on last Sunday's morning while one of my kids was practicing kick-ass Kung Fu in preparation to defend himself in the corridor of one of New York's finest public high schools in the not so distant future.  The article was as chilly as the swirling air and only got chillier as I read on, so I don't think I will ever have the courage or stomach to read it again on paper or otherwise.  But the take-away was all sugars are bad, they cause obesity, diabetes, heart disease and get this, cancer.  I used to kill a whole large pack of gummy bears in one afternoon.  No more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....