Monday, August 23, 2010

Viewfinder and magnification

I am into a territory that I know little or nothing about. All I know is my D70 has a tiny viewfinder, and a trip to dpreview tells me that the D70 has a viewfinder of 95% coverage and an image magnification of 0.75. With a 1.5 crop factor, making it having an effective image magnification in the 35mm film world of 0.75/1.5 = 0.5! No wonder the image looks so terrible.

Nikon rumors says the D90 replacement shall have a 100% viewfinder, that's great but what about magnification? Assuming it's a 1.5 crop sensored camera, any effective image magnification less that 0.7 would be murder for old folks like me. The D90 replacement at least should have an image magnification like the D300 which is 0.94 making it having an effective magnification around 0.6x. OKAY, I guess realistically speaking, I have to live with this magic number 0.6x because to expect the D90 better than the D300s seems a bit unrealistic.

To keep things in perspective, my Nikon FE has 93% frame coverage and 0.86x magnification. While my F5 has 100% coverage and 0.75x magnification. My Canon P has 1x magnification.

People buy full frame camera because of the better viewfinder not because of better image quality, me think.

Neocamera has a nice summary.

update:
Nikon Rumors says the upcoming D90 replacement will be called D7000. It has the base IS0 100 that all old timers would recognize as the de facto ISO. I remember that's what ISO I began shooting with and that was what the store stocked for amateur photographers like me back then. If the model really comes out like what NR says it will be, this may very well be my next and second DSLR since the D70. I will just blacken the extra 0 to make it the $2300 FX D700. Or I will hold off for the next incarnation of the D700 or I will wait for the side line forever while the world moves on. Who knows and who cares really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....