Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Levi's Filson Trucker Jacket

Click link to see more pictures

Wow, Levi's finally got something good to offer in the US.  A jacket that begs not to be washed or dry cleaned.  Imagine how much money you save?  It's the anti-thesis of high maintenance clothing.

UPDATE: 5/9/2014
The jacket is going strong ... in the smell department.  Just kidding.  I live in NYC and I am not a logger or a cowboy living in a ranch.  At any given day, I can be less than 1cm from from my fellow New Yorkers who are just as irritable as myself.  I don't think the jacket gives out any stench but the fact that I haven't washed it  for years bothers me, somewhat, given that there is always some waxy smell to it already.  So one day I decided against the very prescriptive wash label.  I actually put the jacket into the washer and give it a whirl with detergent no less.  No dry cycle though.  Well it came out OKAY.  I don't think it shrinks or it does nothing too noticable.  Maybe it loses some waxy protection which doesn't make it very water or wind resistant to begin with except making the jacket very very not breathable.  The canvas still hold up, literally, pretty well.  I misplaced the Filson wax that came with it so I don't think I would be waxing it any time soon, may as well not to.

UPDATE: 2/26/2017
Just checked out eBay, the jacket is now fetching somewhere from $300 to $500.  I don't know if there is really a market for it.  One can ask any money for it but are there actual buyers?  I took it out, it still smells wax.  I haven't worn it the longest.  I measure the chest again, I think after I washed it, the dimension is hardly 22" pit to pit, it's more like 21 to 21.5 across.  I think it stretch a bit after repeat wearing and contracts a bit after wash.  The shoulder is bit on the small side and the sleeve is a bit short as well.

UPDATE: 9/23/2011
I still don't understand why manufacturers who try to sell online don't include the actual measurements of their clothings.  Does XS, S, M, L, or XL mean anything?  The actual inches can't guarantee perfect fit (an inch is an inch but individual fitting taste varies) but at least it gives more information to the user to form an idea.  Ebay sellers do a far better job listing the actual measurements.

As and when the jacket gets worn more and wrinkles more it seems to get smaller a bit even I never wash it.  The jacket being coated with wax is very not breathable.  I live in NYC and at times I do find wearing it uncomfortable, I prefer just breathable cotton but hey it's waxed tin cloth so be prepared.

UPDATE:  4/2/2011
Here are the measurements that neither Levi's nor Filson bother to tell you
For the size Large jacket that I own
Jacket laid flat.  Armpit to armpit 22 inches, armpit to end of the sleeve, 19 inches.  In the back, from bottom of the collar vertical down to the end, 25 inches.  Shoulder to shoulder horizontal across, 19 inches.  I have never washed the jacket just as instructed on the label.

UPDATE 11/2/2010
I wore this to a camping hiking trip not too long ago.  It was nice and cool.  I wore this while I hiked about 5 hours in the autumn sun and wind.  I was somewhat soaked.  When I returned and took off my jacket, I could see a film of water inside as the tin cloth won't absorb any sweat or at least very non-absorbent at all, and won't wicks any moisture out, unlike modern fabric I may add.  I wore a T-shirt, a long sleeve light flannel shirt, a wool sweater which later I removed.

UPDATE 9/30/2010:
So, I have this jacket for a few months.  My impression is the jacket is pretty well built but it's not as breathable as say anything that's just cotton.  If you live in humid climate this is probably not a very good jacket for you.  Sometimes I wear it out and I got sweaty and I am not even a sweaty person.  I never have any waxed wears before so my point of reference is none.

UPDATE
Click link to see more pictures.  Or click on label below post.

UPDATE
In my mind, the jacket is supposed to wear fitted and it's true to size.  A Large is like a size 42 (American Sizing).  Filson suggests you to buy one size up, what's the matter with these people?  OKAY, it's your choice.  In the Levi's commercial on Facebook, I think the guy actually wears one size too big.  Maybe that's the way to wear it?  Like your grandma would approve it, if it costs the same, get the bigger one, because you are going to wear heavy gauge sweater underneath?

UPDATE
I broke down and bought one.  The last trucker jacket I bought was when I was a student.

UPDATE
Added JPEG's from Filson's website.

UPDATE
Oops, you just have to see the Filson trucker jacket in store in person or go to Filson's web site.  For some reason, Levi's website is not showing the trucker jacket.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Where can I buy this? I really like it. Macy's? Nordstrom? I go to Filson.com but can't find it. How much?

    exile

    ReplyDelete
  2. exile:
    You're right. I couldn't find it either. I saw it in the Times Square Levi's store yesterday. I guess it's gone today, I have no doubt. It costs $188. I tried it on, it looked perfect on me but I didn't buy it because I was waiting for their 30% facebook discount. Today I was too busy I didn't go so I guess I saved some money instead ....

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....