Thursday, August 19, 2010

Nikon New 85mm Prime

Nikon's legendary 85mm f/1.4 gets even more expensive, probably better with this upgrade.  This G lens shall take away the on lens aperture control and $1,700 from your wallet.  What you gain is one more group and one more lens element, Nano coating and silent wave motor.  No, thank you.  I will get my 85mm f/1.4 manual focus lens for $1,000 less if only I am crazy enough to get one.  I don't think the introduction of this lens will drive down the prices of the previous MF and AF versions.  The prices of these primes just keep appreciating.

NOTE:  I just made another trip to the Nikon web site, and I just noticed something, this new 85mm doesn't have VR.  I mean the women are going to love it but how about those shaky hands from the old men?  I just found it a bit odd that this short telephoto doesn't come with VR.  I mean I personally don't have a problem holding a lens still at a shutter of 1/focal length or even longer on a good day provided I am not pixel peeping.  But I know a lot of folks have problem holding lens still especially those who like to jerk press the shutter release button.  Very odd for it not to incorporate VR.
UPDATE:  Also notice how Nikon panders to the crowd's fixation on Bokeh; in its marketing material on the web it says and I quote
FX-format ultra-fast classic portrait lens with high picture quality, high performance, beautiful Bokeh (background blur) and outstanding reliability
I don't remember Henri Cartier Bresson using any beautiful Bokeh in his works.  Nowadays, all people talk about is Bokeh.  Is my aperture big enough?  How is the out of focus rendition look?  Is it creamy or what?  (errr...But I have to admit I want big aperture lenses too ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....