Friday, August 20, 2010

Brothers

I found the Kodak 400VC almost unusable.  It's just way too grainy.  The shop which did the develop and scan did a terrible job I think.  Granted the 400VC is grainy to begin with and I think it did sharpening when scan so the scans and the prints came out terrible.  I think the print is actually from the scan though I am not sure.  But it just doesn't look good at all.

I fired up my Epson V500 and I think the scan comes out a tad better, my standard.  At least the grain is not so offensive that I almost puke.  If I ever shoot another roll of 400VC I guess I would shoot it at ASA320.

Scanning is a pain.  Just don't try it at home if you don't absolutely have to.

5 comments:

  1. Man, the photos are too dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They kind of suck, aren't they? I have to admit the film is of unknown expiration date and unknown origin. I got them with my Canon F-1 some time ago. I got no luck with 400VC. I shot it as rated at ASA400. I probably still have one or two rolls around. I actually bought some 160VC, hopefully they will behave like I like them to behave.

    I am waiting for the D90 replacement now. Pathetic, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to flickr, Gee, other people's 400VC looks much better, the color is crisper and all. Mine is muddy and grainy. I guess it could very well be the developing temperature, too hot? I don't know. It's messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked some of my 400NC, the color is crisp too. I shot it with a Canon P. They came out fine. So I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy crap. Now I think it's my Nikon F5. It might have some metering problem. I guess just to let Nikon or any authorized service check it will cost hundreds. Or I just compensate with exp compensation +1 stop will fix it.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....