Thursday, November 08, 2007

Random Thoughts

iMac, so cool it just freezes

It just works. Oh, really?

In addition to the usual seven deadly sins, I just got to admit schadenfreude is probably my eighth.

While people who deeply care about aesthetics and computing as a life style and above all credulous enough to believe that "it just works" are enjoying their you can't be too thin or too powerful aluminum iMac ... as a fine piece of paper weight, still others are contemplating to get their first ever non PC, non Mac machine this holiday season.

The Everex gPC is an interesting piece of desktop equipment selling at $199. The Asus Eee Pc sub notebook is fetching $399.99. Both run on some flavor of Linux. If they somehow decide to re-purpose themselves as some ugly paperweights, you can simply toss them out the window or to the garbage bin or the recycle bin, okay maybe not the Eee Pc. Unless one is some kind of accountant or financial analyst who will simply drop dead without Microsoft Excel, I can't see any reason why any causal user not using Linux.

NOTE: The hyperlinks are pretty arbitrary and nonsensical, which just reflect the state of mind that I am in. I still feel morose over the premature death of my G3 iBook.

UPDATE: 11/15/2007
Look like a firmware update fixed the problem. As discussed here.

9 comments:

  1. Mac is a bad dream for me, now I have the text book Office 2004 for Mac in hand, still need some times to digest it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've ever heard of the gOS. I'm definitely impressed by its rock-bottom price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my PCs has a lesser spec than the gPC. The 512MB ram sounds inadequate but my PC doesn't even have that much, only half. I believe the gPC is based on Ubuntu with the Enlightenment. Unless you are talking about gaming, I think it's actually good enough for most tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old habits die hard. People in HK rather use pirated Windows and MS Office than free software like Linux and OpenOffice.org The cheapest config. would cost round about HK$3,000-$3,500

    My hunk of scrap metal [that's what Wolfgang calls my Acer Aspire desktop] is even worse. With 96MB of memory and an AMD K6 chip, it can't even install Ubuntu 7.02 Feisty. It can only run Windows 98 and Red Hat Linux 7.2 Enigma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Ubuntu has a stripped down version that can allow you to install on some "hunk of scrap metal." Anyway, I do want my box to be powerful, but about all able to connect online, preferably wirelessly. I want good soundcard and video card, 2 GB RAM, a big harddrive so I don't ever worry running out of space. Do I care about Excel, fuck Excel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the gOS is also a stripped-down version of Ubuntu, which is small enough to be burnt on a CD instead of a DVD. The gPC is using what is known as a Linux-Embedded Motherboard, right?

    Taiwan is much more ahead in this area than Hong Kong. Everex has a branch in Taiwan and Japan selling the gPC. People here prefer pirated MS Windows and Office running on Intel chips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm pretty sure most motherboard nowadays have decent onboard sound and video suitable for multimedia purposes. i'd say anything from MSI and Asus is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My basement computer that runs the root server of the whole Internet has very bad on board sound and audio. But that was I think more than 8 years old or so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the first hand experience in using Sir Black's basement PC, very good effect, it's internet wireless connected without any difficulty even his wifi was in 3rd floor or above, for mine, even cannot workout in my badroom, only 10 meters from the wifi in my dining room

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....