Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is just a few hours away. I prepped my almost 13 pounds turkey already. Hopefully everything will be an OK tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone. Thank you thank you thank you.

UPDATES

The dinner; pictures usually look better with me behind the camera, but not this time. Oh, well. The big bird turned out good but Jin kept saying she liked last year's better. I guess she likes the citrus seasoning better. Maybe next year I will combine the citrus seasoning and the butter.

The Demented Cook. The turkey is close to 13 pounds, I threw the label away and I forgot. I put the sage butter underneath the skin, see the lumps underneath the skin? Those are butter pucks.


Preparing for the sage butter. Chopped up the sage. I happen to have some sage growing in the kitchen so I plucked some and chopped them up. I left two bars of butter at room temperature and let them soften. Mix sage with butter, make a butter sausage and put into refrigerator to harden. See the chef knife on top? You don't mess with me with that knife in hand.

Stuffing baked separately. This one is surprisingly good. The very first time I made any stuffing. I like the sweetness, it's not heavy, just right. The recipe is in foodtv.com and I recapped it in the comment section.

16 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, man. And bon appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your big turkey in your last year's thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Happy Thanksgiving! Here we save the turkey for Christmas, what will you eat for Christmas then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. I was a bit busy preparing for the meal. But's worth living is worth blogging. So I make some time here.

    I did the cranberry sauce, mashed potato, stuffing already. Just have to make the gravy and some string beans and that's about it. And the big bird is in the oven already.

    For Christmas, I usually have chicken chow mein, shrimps with lobster sauce, moo goo ngai pan and beef chow fun. Just kidding. I think the tradition meal is still turkey. But I am not a big fan of turkey, thanksgiving is an exception. Christmas is just giving gifts to my kids I don't do any particular cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a pity that the USS Kitty Hawk originally plan to visit HK and suddenly they back to Japan after China's NO/Yes invitation. For your interest, I own a small Kitty Hawk model

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can fly to Japan you Kitty Hawk sucker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You looks healthy and in good shape with your big turkey, well done, great man

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are you up to batman? Fighting crime in the cyberworld? I can't believe it's the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:41 PM

    i'm going to steal your turkey recipe one day. and the stuffing recipe.

    eric

    ReplyDelete
  10. all my recipes are from foodtv.com.

    they are actually quite simple.

    375 degree, 15 minutes for pound. Or until the thickest part is 175 degree inside. Wash bird in cold water, and dry, seasoned with salt and pepper, that's minimum. Or like me, make some sage butter and insert butter underneath skin. put some herbs inside the cavity, mostly rosemary and that's about it. (Last year, I made some citric rub, sea salt rosemary, lemon zest all chopped (in food processor) and seasoned over turkey.)

    Stuffing: 4 big cornbread muffin, cubed. 3 yellow onions diced and a few stalks of celery diced. Cooked them till soft, put them in a mixing bowl with the onion and celery, toss them well. qtr cup of chicken stock or in my case turkey stock (made from the innards and neck, onion, red carrot and celery), qtr cup of heavy cream and an egg beat up, mixed liquid together in a bowl seasoned with salt and pepper. Pour liquid over cornbread, onion and celery. Mix them well. Transfer to some baking dish. bake under 375 for half an hour or until golden brown on top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. write your coook book, earn your money by your writing and cooking skills, do not waste time in Blog writing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:17 PM

    expected some more pix of the feast. :) i'm a bit late, Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, I didn't take a lot of pictures. Anyhow, I added a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am angry, why didn't you make the food for me when I last visited NYC

    ReplyDelete
  15. You cooked the turkey like a master chef. It looked very yummy on the dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great picture updates, the turkey and the stuffing both looked really great, and thanks for passing on the recipe. I tried roasting a chicken for the first time last week, it turned out surprisingly well (done, but succulent and not dry at all). Maybe I should try my hand with the turkey too come Christmas (although I know it won't actually happen as it's my Dad who cooks it every year).

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....