Thursday, November 15, 2007

Amateur Photographer: Dan Chung Switched?

Award winning Guardian photographer Dan Chung, in an exclusive from Amateur Photographer, is alleged to switch back to Nikon after a decade with Canon. AP still holds dearly to its content and I guess its operation is still largely based on subscription and newsstand sales. As such I could not access the content online (because there is none out there?). I made a trip to the Grand Central area hoping that maybe I can read or buy this UK weekly publication the old fashioned way, but no luck there. Previously, on Dan Chung's blog, he does give accolades to D3 and goes on to say he's going to order a pair of them. I may need to check out Barnes & Nobles for this AP piece.

UPDATE: 11/17/2007
Just checked out Barnes & Nobles at Bayside, and they don't carry that magazine either. I guess not a lot of people here in US care about what amateur photographers in UK have to say.

8 comments:

  1. Dan can shot, Sir Robin Black can, your face will appear in the next issue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think Nikon is doing well in this round of competition. But still it is not the camera but the images that matters. BTW, I have just got the 12-24DX from Nikon. But mastering this lens seems not an easy task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fully expect the DX line of lenses would take a hit now that Nikon is rolling out its FX line of gears. I am sure the 12-24 is a fine piece of glass.

    Now go out and take some pictures to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the 12-24 is fine I suppose as all the reviews I have read point to this. But one thing struck me is that it still produce visible purple fringes. The review just say it is easily corrected by PS. But still not seems that easy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I pay $1000 for a lens, I expect it to work perfect without the help of Photoshop. I suppose if you don't shoot backlight and stop down the aperture, that should greatly reduce purple fringing.

    Yeah, I read the lens is sharp and contrasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that is what we could expected. But most lens needs fixing here and there in photoshop/gimp.

    Apart from that the world of ultra-wide is a whole new world and I need time to master it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wide or ultra wide takes in a lot of stuff that if not mastered well only serve to distract instead of dramatizing the subject.

    My widest I have is 18~70 a DX so essentially a 27mm and I have the good old 24mm f2 manual focus one.

    I never bother to learn how to correct purple fringing or barrel or pin cushion distortion. Too lazy for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long a you don't make a print 2 foot wide, the purple fringing is a non-issue.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....