Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Notes to Self

Notes to self
You are an idiot, a masochist.
This is my n attempts to learn Linux ...
This is by far the easiest installation, Ubuntu 7.04

Ubuntu 6.06 did the live cd thing but crapped out on the harddrive installation, Error in removing some language packs.
Downloaded 7.04, burned a CD, live cd worked, harddrive installation worked, but wi fi didn't work.
The funny thing was in 6.06, the wi fi actually worked. I tried to boot Live CD from 6.06 but no longer worked. I have a PCI card from Trendnet TEW228PI, a discontinued product that uses the Realtek RTL8180 chipset.
Searched Internet on Realtek RTL8180 chipset and Ubuntu but to no avail.
Searched more, finally found the following instructions.
You need to be root to do edit the blacklist file.

From the terminal

sudo editor /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
rem out the line by prefixing the line with a #, like so
# blacklist r818x

Reboot system

And append a bogus character to the ESSID.

Now I am blogging using my Ubuntu.

The last time I got this card to work was years ago using Redhat, I think I used either a ndiswrapper or a Linux driver. But I am not sure anymore.

This is the easiest by far.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:05 AM

    I may have to learn how to operate the Mac notebook, must cause me a lot of trouble, just don't know why they use Mac rather than MS Window XP
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete
  2. Source

    QUOTE
    ---------------- harvested from the net

    VMS is like a Soviet railroad train. It's basically industrial-strength, but
    when you look at it closely, everything's a little more shabby than you might
    like. It gets the job done, but there's no grace to it.

    The Mac operating system is like the monorail at Disney World. It's kind of
    spectacular and fun, but it doesn't go much of anywhere. Still, the kids like
    it.

    Unix is like the maritime transit system in an impoverished country. The
    ferryboats are dangerous as hell, offer no protection from the weather and leak
    like sieves. Every monsoon season a couple of them capsize and drown all the
    passengers, but people still line up for them and crowd aboard.

    ---------------- philg@mit.edu's personal viewpoint

    UNIX: you think it won't work, but if you find the right wizard, you
    can make it work.

    Macintosh: you think it will work, but it won't.

    PC/Windows: you think it won't work and it won't.

    UNQUOTE

    And I think Mac is more suitable for for people who have an underdeveloped or not yet developed minds, like grade school kids....Enjoy learning your Mac its good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man, you have used the ndiswrapper to make it work last time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right. I forgot what I did in those late night hours.

    That was a major "achievement" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:15 AM

    Great comments!

    Vl2007

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the wizard to make it work, man. One thing I don't understand. Why did they blacklist r818x in the first place, causing loads of trouble to Realtek RTL818x users like you? What good did that give them by so doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a dilettante, a fool and more than anything an idiot.
    If I am a true UNIX wizard, I would have the answer for you. I guess they blacklisted that driver because at some point it caused kernel panic, or installation failure. And they must have changed something so the driver now IS OKAY but they forgot to unblacklist it. That's my WILD guess.

    This is really easy provided there is no problem along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, man. You're probably right, having regard to the statement:

    # buggy driver causes kernel BUG on load (Ubuntu: #78255, #88430)

    I mean Ubuntu is supposed to make people's life easy if they're nuts enough to try Linux.

    I know your chip may be old but if you're not what you are, you might never get to use the Wi-fi function.

    I'll never get to know what's in the minds of those guys. They seem to assume every Tom, Dick and Harry are as good as they are in computing, given the fact that they give the software away for free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:43 AM

    I have seen Maria Sarapova in her red dress in US open, very attractive
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had subway 6" sandwich for lunch ... how does that relate to my post?

    I am going to cough blood.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....