Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I Need A Computer

I need a better computer to suck my photos out my Nikon D70. And to store and process them en masse.

I just tested UFRaw-batch.exe running from Windows, I think it's good enough for me. And with GIMP I can have a total graphics interface that rivals Photoshop minus the big bucks, somewhat I guess. Anyway, I need a computer first... If I have more processing power, I may shoot more in NEF and just batch them in one stroke. So far Mac seems to be the only one that can run OS X, Windows and Linux all together in one machine. But my Mac iBook G3 experience hadn't been exactly pleasant.

Let's see what Nikon has to offer tomorrow, if anything.

5 comments:

  1. I thought you can put a lot of photos in CDs or DVDs. Or you don't want to misplace them so you put everything in the hard drive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some guys are great, giving out great software for free. I really admire them. So who says money is everything? Satisfaction in what you've been doing is of paramount importance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not very disciplined in doing backup plus I like the idea of living dangerously so I don't back up my pictures to CD, and my PC can't burn DVD anyway. I think one of the solutions is to upload to places like flickr to let them worry about backup the important but tedious thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you're right. I forgot about Flickr completely.

    You know what. Some time ago, a colleague of mine asked me which photo-storing website was good and I mentioned the name Flickr because I know you're using it. You probably know I've never used any of these sites before.

    A little later, he told me Flickr was very good and he liked it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you need a syncback and 2 usb harddrive for you back up. Syncback actually automate all the necessary copying. You need 2 because harddrive fails. I have learn the hard way recently. And DVD is not a reliable backup media. They fail when you need them. One note, write the expiry date of you hard drive and don't use them beyond that date. Two year after you date of purchase to be safe. You don't want to risk your data but if you do and end up a failed harddrive, you may sent it to me and I will try to find someone to fix it at about RMB2000. This is the price I paid to recover by backup hard drive a month ago.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....