Thursday, August 23, 2007

Nikon's Foray Into Full Frame

So all these years, Nikon has been feeding us Kool-aid, contending that 1.5DX format is the right format to go and digital noise doesn't matter, while secretly sweating and busying itself catching up with Canon's full frame development. This reminds me when Apple was still using PowerPC chips and seriously lacked in clock speed. What did they say, clockspeed doesn't matter, the whole is important than the sum of its parts, blah, blah, blah. Look what happened.

All things being equal, a faster processor is a better processor; and a bigger sensor is a better sensor. And I am not going to footnote my previous statement.

PS: OKAY, I am going to footnote. If you are a no talent photographer, no amount of technology and full frame can make that up. In some cases, a complicated camera can actually obstruct and hinder one's creativity. But in the right hand, a better camera does help produce better images.

UPDATE:
A thread at good old photo.net by Ellis Vener x Bjorn Rorslett. I thought Vener totally abandoned Nikon but was actually invited to attend the event in Tokyo. I just found out my invitation pass was mailed to my neighbor two houses down, oh well, there is next year. If you are NOT invited, then don't call yourself a Nikon pro, switch to Canon. Because Nikon doesn't give a F U C K what you have to say and think. Vener once answered some of my stupid questions at photo.net. Nice guy.

7 comments:

  1. Erm, allow me to ask a stupid question (again!): If "Nikon doesn't give a fuck what you say or think", why bother?

    Would you have gone all the way to Tokyo if the invite was mailed to the right house?

    "a bigger sensor is a better sensor" Perhaps Nikon could adapt Apple's much-maligned ad slogan (apropos of your other post) and say "You can't be too big or too powerful".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally made that up, of course, Nikon would never mail me any invitation. Who am I anyway? I am not some big shot. For that press event Nikon invited some 350(?) people to attend and hence if you are not invited you know where you stand in Nikon's mind. Despite some people's perennial complaints and how delusional grandeur they are Nikon really can't be bothered with those amateurs.

    IF, that's a very impossible big IF Nikon invited me, I sure would go.

    Nikon wouldn't make a big play on the bigger sensor as far as marketing goes as they aren't the first mover in that area, Canon is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Nikon have introduced 5 new no-DX or I should say FX AF-S lens together with the D3 and D300. If digital have to come close to what film can do, FX size is the only way to go. If the DX size sensor goes to something like 40M pixels, It would give images (full of noise if you view 100%) like today's 10M pixel point and shoot models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's my point perhaps i didn't make myself clear again.
    Nobody asked for a smaller sensor, it's just because it's cheaper and easier to make. Now the time has come for a bigger sensor. For now, there is a place for DX sensor and lens, but down the road ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. But smaller sensor do have one advantage, you could have the DX lens smaller and supposedly cheaper. And that is important as I really don't want to carry 2-3 lens => 4-6lb and a body that is almost 2lb. I just can't handle the weight anymore. 18-200 DX is all i need. I like to have the 920k pixel LCD though and I hope they will implement it on the sucessor of D40x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay I should never ever comment on here again as every time I did I've been taken in by your ironic jokey statements and appear like a complete idiot!!

    But then again I AM a glutton for punishment...

    ReplyDelete
  7. snowdrops, because I am full of it. And like I said before you probably have a good cultured upbringing and never thought i would be such a pathetic liar ... just don't argue with me on that.

    ghorse,
    all you said was true re the DX sensor. Nikon is making new zooms for its ff D3 with something called nano coating, man, I am a sucker for all these marketing bs. anyhow, it's like you have to sell your kids to get a copy of them. it's like $9000 for some glasses. I guess I will just screw my 50mm manual focus f1.4 lenses on if I ever have a D3 which is extremely unlikely.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....