Monday, August 06, 2007

The New York Times Shrinks, more like WSJ now

Today the paper edition of The New York Times shrinks just like The Wall Street Journal. But unlike WSJ, it doesn't make a big deal out of it.

On the frontpage, in a very discrete box it just says

To Our Readers
Starting today, The Times is reducing the width of its pages by an inch and a half, to the national newspaper 12-inch standard.
The move cuts newsprint expenses and , in some printing press locations, makes special configurations unnecessary.
Slight modifications in design preserve the look and texture of The Times, with all existing features and sections and somewhat fewer words per page.
The paper retails for $1.25

I welcome the smaller format as it makes subway reading more manageable and less intrusive to others. You know, I am a considerate rider, I don't wear scents, comb my hair, cut my nails, taking up more space than necessary when I ride the train.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Now I never buy any paid newspaper, just get a free newspaper from the lobby. The only pages that I seriously read is the football gambling
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are at least two free newspapers here, Metro and AM New York but I don't bother reading them.

    Do you win at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Waiting for tomorrow Mark 6 Super Jacket, HK$65 million
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's now the size of a USA Today, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sid:
    you are probably right. but i have yet to confirm with 2 papers side by side.

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....