Monday, January 30, 2006

The New York Times Don't Care About Chinese New Year/People

Yesterday was Chinese New Year.
I don't expect the Times to have an article on the front page, but I do expect a picture, maybe the size of a postage stamp about the New Year, on the Metro Section. But guess what? Nothing. I am going to cancel my freaking home delivery, now that they are raising the price and don't give a $hit about Chinese people. The 7-day home delivery price is $9.65 effective February 6.
The Chinese New Year parade is as far as I know only limited in downtown Chinatown around Mott Street, a few blocks here and there and in some other Chinese enclaves in Queens and Brooklyn. Perhaps the Chinese should take up a whole freaking section of the 5th Avenue just so we get some attention and press coverage. Perhaps not.
Updates: I searched the nytimes.com online edition, no coverage either.
To read about the Chinese New Year, you have to read the free newspaper like amNewYork or the New York Post or the New York Daily News. Good things I was actually there to enjoy the festival, because you just can't read it on the Times.
I used to not care about the Chinese New Year. But now I am converted. Perhaps I have gotten older and have two children. I plan to go to Chinatown on every Chinese New Year as long as I am in the city.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 PM

    I guess people have got different feelings about their identity and culture when they are in foreign lands. When you are surrounded by festivities, sometimes you don't feel a thing about them.

    Sid

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...worse kind of Chinese: when I am with Chinese, I pretend I am a foreigner; when I am with foreigners, I pretend I am a Chinese. I am confused just by saying it. Maybe I am guilty of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:09 PM

    I'm that worse kind of Chinese. In many ways, I think I fit the description of "jia yangguizi". If I had the chance of living in a foreign land, I might get more Chinese in my ways. Who knows?

    Sid

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....