Friday, August 06, 2010

Randolph Engineering


wow!!!!!!!!!!=====>>>>update 9/8/2011 More AO and RE.<=======wow

What can I say?  I have a weakness for taxi driver shades.  Logoless shades from Randolph Engineering.  I have misplaced my AO sunglasses and they are no where to be found.  I found out RE is just as good despite it having a shorter history than AO, oh yeah, I care about history and pedigree.  AO and RE look almost identical but RE sells at a higher price and the gold model says it's 23K gold plated while I don't find AO says anything about gold plated.  This pair or RE is supposedly army surplus with no logo either on the glass or on the arm.  AO has the AO logo on its glass and on its arm which I find mildly offensive but tolerable as a wearer.  The RE glasses for civilians also bear some sort of logo on the glass as well.  It seems everybody is into this branding business it has become an epidemic.

Difference between AO (American Optical) and RE (Randolph Engineering)--a comparison nobody really cares:-
From what I can recall the difference is there though very subtle.
RE is 58mm while AO is 57mm for it's largest frame, though both say it's 5 1/4".  RE does feel a bit bigger, not by much but I can feel the difference especially being anal retentive.
The bayonet arm of RE have more flex to it so I think it fits better.  The bayonet of AO (metallic silver I have had) is stiffer.  The arm of RE extends to and ends with the clear plastic.  Actually the metallic arm's end is exposed.  AO's metallic arm is not fully extended to the end of the clear plastic, it's wrapped inside.
RE feels lighter even it says it's glasses not plastic just like the AO's.

I think I like the RE better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....