Monday, June 25, 2007

The Muffin Man

This post is inspired by blogger mad dog.

The (in)famous Choco-Lowfat Muffins recipe is from Hershey's, though I didn't use anything from Hershey's, the cocoa powder I used wasn't even the one shown on the picture. I bought the Nestle but I ended up using whatever I have in the pantry, some brand Jin bought from BJ's (it's not what you thought, it's Beverley Jean).

Here is the cut-n-paste recipe from Hershey's I repost here, my own comments in red:-

QUOTE
Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whatever in the pantry, whole wheat flour, tasted too healthy and weird?)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa (some brand from BJ's, doesn't bother me)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup vanilla lowfat yogurt
  • 2/3 cup nonfat milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Powdered sugar(optional)
  • (NO EGGS, NO OIL as one of the commenters from mad dog's original post pointed out .... I wonder if it would taste any better if say 2 eggs and oil are added ...)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter, I used 3-1/2 inches) with paper bake cups.

2. Stir together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; stir in yogurt, milk and vanilla just until combined. Do not beat. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.

3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack. Remove from pans. Sprinkle powdered sugar over tops of muffins, if desired. Serve warm. Store, covered, at room temperature or freeze in airtight container for longer storage. 14 muffins. (I made only eight I think)

UNQUOTE

Here is my setup.
Mix the dry ingredients first. Then add the wet ingredients. Try not to overmix. (I am trying to sound professional you know)
Pour mixed batter into baking cups (lined with baking parchment paper). Put cups on a baking sheet. And slide them into oven. Now grab a beer and watch TV. Or whatever, let the oven do the work.

Voila, after some 18 minutes in a 400F over, the muffins are done.

Tasting Test: I was prepared for the worst but they turned out not too bad. They weren't as sweet or chocolate-ty as I would like them but they are definitely edible. Again, I wonder if they would taste any better if I have added eggs, butter and oil ... essentially take the low out of low fat.

[The photographer in me talking: the flash pictures are so so but that's no excuse. Shot with a Nikon D70, with a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 mounted, flash set at manual at 1/16 power. Adjust f-stop and shutter speed by chimping.]

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:02 AM

    wow, maybe BJ's powder is much better than Hershey's then... you have nicer cake cups... ;) ah, anyway, thanks for trying this! the commenter (yumchafoo) sent me her recipes, do u want to try too? blueberry muffins and choco chip miffins.

    what did the kids say abt the muffins? kids don't lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:03 AM

    btw, i used plain flour too, cos' there's a big bag of flour at home. do u think all-purpose flour is better for muffins?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:17 AM

    you can write your Cook Book and retire earlier
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's embarrassing, I am no expert in cooking or baking. I don't know if all-purpose flour is better or not, my guess is it s/b OKAY to substitute one for the other for making muffins. Truth be told, that's my first muffin baking experience.

    BJ's is not known for carrying gourmet quality products, but sometimes they do carry something nice, like Pallegrino if you are into fancy water . I have no idea if the cocoa powder I used is any good or better than Hershey's.

    You can send the recipes to laichungleung at gmail dot com, that should reach me all right. If not complicated, I sure would try them out.

    I made those around 9PM Sunday night, so the kids went to sleep already. The next morning Mr. Harry finished about 90% of the muffin so I guess it's not too bad. And today I had it for breakfast and I think it's better than I thought or the time when it's fresh off the oven.

    wp2007, only dear old Vince can afford to retire now. As for mere mortal like me, I think I have to work my butt off before I can retire ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:32 AM

    you can write your cook book, or teach English in those "international schools" in HKSAR, or as a private English tutor. I am sure you can earn pretty good easy money in HK, we are looking forward for your coming back
    wp2007

    ReplyDelete

Civil War (2024)

This is basically a Dorothy yellow brick road kind of story.  Also, something to do with the new replaces the old, the circle of life thing....